Drilling into a stainless fridge.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher

Reaction score
Building new keg fridge and the stainless shell is very thin, but super tough.
I had no trouble putting the drip tray on, and drilling an 8mm hole for the gas line was alright. But how do I get a neat 20mm hole for the shanks?
Tried some spade bits, (and yes I know they are supposed to be for timber), but they actually melted!

What is the correct tool for cracking this tough nut?

I would just do a small pilot hole and then finish off with a step bit.

Topher said:
Tried some spade bits, (and yes I know they are supposed to be for timber), but they actually melted!
Crazy *******, wonder it didnt grab and snap your wrist in half :huh:

Decent stainless hole saw would be the go, OR a crap load of smaller tiny holes around the edge of your 20mm outline and do it that way. chances are it wouldnt have to be a perfect smooth circle anyway as it'd be hidden, cheaper option as you already have drill bits.

The hole saws work well, but step drills are the go. We use them here all the time for anything up to 3mm G 450 - Z 350 blah..blah ..blah, anyway, its nasty high tensile and a bitch to drill.
Their 'step' design makes them far less grabby. But spend the money on a half decent one or stainless will just laugh at it and burr it over.
Medium speed and a few squirts of lube, WD will do the job, is the go.

CoopsOz said:
I would just do a small pilot hole and then finish off with a step bit.
I wouldnt put a twist drill near thin stainless unless is it <3mm. Step drills dont need pilot, just go for it. I used one to pilot a hole punch

Great advice guys, thanks. I'll go to the big green shed today and get the "right tool for the job".

Any standard 20mm holesaw (starett, Sutton, Lennox brand) with an arbour. Pilot drill a 3mm hole at full speed. Then put the holesaw through at low speed, nice and slow with even pressure.

Slightly off topic... how can you make sure that where you drill isn't impacting on an electrical wire or worst a refrigerant conduit...

I drilled into my new kegerator only to find after I tried to power on it tripped the circuit breaker in the house. Turned out a wire that connected a light switch inside was imbedded in the foam insulation. :blink: aaaaaaaaaaaargh. I had no way of knowing where it was. Just shit luck.

Goose said:
Slightly off topic... how can you make sure that where you drill isn't impacting on an electrical wire or worst a refrigerant conduit...

I drilled into my new kegerator only to find after I tried to power on it tripped the circuit breaker in the house. Turned out a wire that connected a light switch inside was imbedded in the foam insulation. :blink: aaaaaaaaaaaargh. I had no way of knowing where it was. Just shit luck.
The best solution is using a soldering iron through the plastic on the inside, then 'explore' through the foam carefully with a screw driver, then drill the outside

MastersBrewery said:
The best solution is using a soldering iron through the plastic on the inside, then 'explore' through the foam carefully with a screw driver, then drill the outside
Or the opposite, drill a small hole from the outside and explore with a piece of wire etc to see if you are not going to hit some thing you shouldn't .
Make sure the power to the fridge is turned off!
Grab some plastic push in caps from the hardware shop and a drill bit to suit so if you drill in he wrong spot, bung a plug in the hole and try again.

If you'rd doing a frige just go through the door

spog said:
Or the opposite, drill a small hole from the outside and explore with a piece of wire etc to see if you are not going to hit some thing you shouldn't .
You certainly could do this, and each to their own, but using the soldering iron on the inside first is a much safer option in my opinion and the option I have chosen to use ever since I hit a coolant line on my first fridge with the outside drilling method. I use the soldering iron to melt the hole in the plastic and insulation to the right size that I want, and then make the hole on the outside once I know the coast is clear. As always, have the fridge unplugged, and if using a soldering iron ensure there is adequate ventilation and you are wearing some sort of mask as the melted plastic/insulation lets off some nasty stuff.

Just my 2c

Latest posts

Back