Drill recommendation for drilling stainless steel?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purple-lazy said:
Roger regarding the cutting oil. One thing I noticed about the olive oil was that being quite runny for lack of a better term, it was difficult to keep a good volume of it in the right place, especially on the curved surface of the pot. Something a bit more viscous would probably be advantageous.
Try the Trefolex. It's a paste.

I've never tried it, and I'm one of those idiots who'd happily go to buy a skyhook or a can of striped paint on request, but I was once told drops of dishwashing detergent can be used as a lubricant for drilling metal too. But that could be because I don't only look stupid.

Ducatiboy stu said:
A tin of trefolex would last the average person about 200yrs
Or a person working in the lift industry about 6 months. We use the 3.2mm double end drills and they are light years ahead of the Sutton blue bullet. I think its to do with the angle the tip was cut at.

For me the formula is:
Cobalt drill bit. Non negotiable
Cutting compound. If its a big hole or a ole saw add some as you're drilling as well
Low speed setting on the drill
Once you start a hole don't stop. Stainless steel hardens if you heat it so get it done in one go. Any second attempt will be more difficult.

Apparently trefolex when the fumes are inhaled is carcinogenic excuse the spelling
On its own its ok & you don't wont to make it smoke for ss it would be getting too hot then
Just thought I'de let people know

I start with a punch to mark the spot, then hit it with a cheapie eBay hole saw made for SS. A friend of a friend is a metal worker and said to stop when you see smoke and hit it with more oil. The fella at LHBS says the guy who does theirs uses a regular hole saw and just takes it slow.

Good luck

Put the hose on it. Most of the time if you see smoke the bit is roo ted.
This was drilled with no cutting compound on a pedestal drill.
IMG_20150629_181537.jpg

And for drilling curved surfaces without the aid of a cutting compound paste you could always make a well around the area with blutak to hold oil or similar.

I've had to drill a couple of holes and I've got to say, either my drilling technique is crap (most likely) or something else but it's been serious work to get even a starting hole through the bloody things. Once I've got that done, the step bit has been fine but just getting that initial hole, even with a cobalt bit, has been a massive pain in the hole.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys. There's been some great stuff here, and I'm taking note of it all. Hopefully it'll make the difference.

Water + dishwashing liquid +2 Stroke oil (probly any oil will be fine) ...or just pop down to the shops if they're close handy and pick up some cutting compound as mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back