Dried Yeast T 58 - Anyone Used It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
I noticed on one of the online HB stores a yeats I was not familiar with, Saf T-58

Had a look at the saf site. Don't feel much wiser

Has anyone used it? and if so what have been the experiences

I noticed on one of the online HB stores a yeats I was not familiar with, Saf T-58

Had a look at the saf site. Don't feel much wiser

Has anyone used it? and if so what have been the experiences

I'm interested in this as well. I picked up a promotional 4 pack of Leffe Blonde on the weekend and am now all inspired. Unless I misunderstand, this is the dry yeast I'd want to use for a spicy high-alcohol Belgian-like beer.

I used it in a wit. It was ok. Not really heaps of Belgian flavour, but reasonable. I think it's the only dry Belgian yeast, so worth a go if that's the sort of beer you want and you don't want to stump up for a liquid yeast.

I've used T-58 in a Belgian Strong Ale (more or less Doc's Belgian Bender Strong Ale). Haven't gotten around to tasting it yet. It's still quite young. Might try sampling (for testing purposes only) next weekend. The sample from the fermenter was very nice tho.

I reckon it's an excellent dried yeast - very spicy/peppery. Not sure which liquid it's closest too, as I don't know my Belgium yeasts.

Cheers Ross

I highly recommend it too. Ive used it in a wheat - very spicy/clovey - will definately use it again when im doing my next wheat.
Cheers
Steve

yeah will agree with the above.

Good yeast, nice spicyness that mellows with a bit of age in the keg.

I used it in a belgian pale ale and it was a nice beer.

Aparently its actually a spicy english ale yeast that gets called belgian cause of the flavours it produces.

bloody fast firmenter too, brewed down in a couple of days.

cheers

I've used it in a Imperial Stout. No complaints at all. :beerbang:

EDIT: Ooops. Looks like I actually used S-33 (5299). Should check these things before posting!

I've tried it in a wit and a triple and haven't had any complaints :)

I've tried it in a wit and a triple and haven't had any complaints :)

(I'm a total novice so please excuse ignorance on this one.)

Aren't dry yeasts generally not able to do triple's because of the alcohol level? I've heard you wouldn't want to go above 8% for a dry yeast. What is the maximum that this one can do?

Aren't dry yeasts generally not able to do triple's because of the alcohol level? I've heard you wouldn't want to go above 8% for a dry yeast. What is the maximum that this one can do?

DCL/Fermentis were quoting around 7.5% but what'd they know :blink: , my triple was 8.5% and I''ve heard of others using it in the same range without too many problems.

Not sure about T-58, but it's certainly not true for all dried yeasts. US05 (US56) can definitely ferment high gravity beers very well. Sounds like an (urban) brewers myth to me.

Not sure about T-58, but it's certainly not true for all dried yeasts. US05 (US56) can definitely ferment high gravity beers very well. Sounds like an (urban) brewers myth to me.

I've got the T-58 in my Belgian strong ale right now, which should be 8%-plus, and it's bubbling away nicely.

I just brewed an Imperial IPA with US-56 whick is a dry yeast

10.9% ABV and i got 90% attenuation

1.090 to 1.008 in 1 week at 19 to 20 deg.

so i would say that the 8% thing is a big load of you know what!

cheers

I've got the T-58 in my Belgian strong ale right now, which should be 8%-plus, and it's bubbling away nicely.

From the Fermentis pdf of T-58
A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development.
Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high.
Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with
alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

Also, does anyone know why is it called SafBrew and not Safale or Saflager?

Back