Draytons Disaster Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgums500

Reaction score
I post this with the utmost respect for the families involved in this disaster. Was wondering if anyone knows what would cause such an explosion to take place in a winery. ie isn't it fermenters and storage tanks full of fermenting wine as opposed to flammable spirits ? just got to thinking thats all :)

cheers

Redgums

Channel 10 news reported last night that some welding was being undertaken near a cleaning agent.

One of the biggest jobs I've been to as a fire fighter was as a result of welding near an ethanol tank (4 years ago). Fortunately no one died in that incident. The accident at Drayton's in Pokolbin is very sad.

Photos of the ethanol tank explosion & fire http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotthamilton...57594356714145/

Scott

Latest I heard was that they were welding near a tank of fortification spirit (basically brandy) that was used for making fortified wine. Wine won't explode but that stuff sure will. Especially if the tank is only part full and there is lots of vapour about.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back