Experimental Mashing Technique - Needs Further Testing!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to get a stratocaster running through a vintage fender twin reverb tube amp to get more balanced warming notes. Unscrew the back plate of the amp and try to get the tubes to match the desired EBC of the wort - you should be able to reach amber with some darker blues, but I'd be careful not to mash-out with too much metal or you could end up with a burt aftertaste.

Hrm you could be right... I'll use my strat again, I don't have a fender twin reverb but I do have a rackmount tube reverb unit, I could crank that up a notch and give it a whirl!

I might just use the metal during the ramp-up to mashout then switch back to something more mellow to help smooth out those last tones, we'll see.

If you want a beer that punches you in the face each time you drink be sure to have Slayer's Reign in Blood playing on repeat. Through out the brew day!

Don't know about the mashing vs. shredding.

What I do know is don't play Suicidal Tendencies near the fermenter, or you may end up with a stuck mash.

Now THAT is the type of research results we need!! Good to see!

I have a couple of different tube amps to use, should I go single-ended EL84 or the push/pull 6L6's in the 1/2 stack? I'll be using Willamette in the next brew, 4.7% AA in pellet form.

Cheers,
Shred.

ideally SET, preferably with a pefectly matched pair of WE 300B's

your EL84's will work well the willamette

i brewed a summer lager on saturday with dean martin

I always have Radio Paradise (internet radio station) playing when i brew. I usually brew very AM on a sunday morning.. and I usually get Air (band) playing around mashing in.. and things usually go well.

But the best brew I've done so far, was when came on just as the boil kicked off..

So for me its somewhere between electronic music and psychedelic rock. Kind of weird at 5am on a Sunday Morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have Radio Paradise (internet radio station) playing when i brew. I usually brew very AM on a sunday morning.. and I usually get Air (band) playing around mashing in.. and things usually go well.

But the best brew I've done so far, was when came on just as the boil kicked off..

So for me its somewhere between electronic music and psychedelic rock. Kind of weird at 5am on a Sunday Morning.

oh my god, how long has it been since i heard that, thanks for posting, enjoyed the flashback

Last edited by a moderator:
try Anthrax caught in the Mash, (or was that mosh). Though on second thoughts might encourage a stuck sparge...

I spent Australia Day brewing in my shed while listening to Triple J's hottest 100.

I'm a bit worried how the brew might turn out now.

Might have a touch of Cosmo Jarvis Gay Pirates, some Hill Top Hoods mixed in with some Tongue Tied by Group Love, finishing up with some Gotye.

Could be an interesting beer. :icon_cheers:

(PS, if you don't know what I'm talking about you're just too old.)

Talking about Triple jjj I done my last mash and that Arnold Schwarzenegger song came on, like 80s retro funk with Arnold doin a voice over......the beers gonna be tough as nails I reckon. :super:

I spent Australia Day brewing in my shed while listening to Triple J's hottest 100.

I'm a bit worried how the brew might turn out now.

Might have a touch of Cosmo Jarvis Gay Pirates, some Hill Top Hoods mixed in with some Tongue Tied by Group Love, finishing up with some Gotye.

Could be an interesting beer. :icon_cheers:

(PS, if you don't know what I'm talking about you're just too old.)

No idea what you're on about. Not too old, just don't care for jjj.

Now THAT is the type of research results we need!! Good to see!

I have a couple of different tube amps to use, should I go single-ended EL84 or the push/pull 6L6's in the 1/2 stack? I'll be using Willamette in the next brew, 4.7% AA in pellet form.

Cheers,
Shred.

...Svetlana EL84's....Gibson Les Paul Standard + Marshall JCM 800 or 900 + 1960A Quad + Jim Dunlop Wah...= Thunderously awesome beer... :beerbang:

...i was quite well know in the Canberra Brewers for the whole music to mash to thing a few years ago...still wont brew without music either at work or home...at home most of my beers are named after songs or albums or musos...not all but most...Nola,Wiseblood, Badmotorfinger, Regatta de Blanc, Powerage,Lemmy, Ironman etc etc..

...how about this story ...cool to me, maybe not to you....
...So, back in 2008 i saw Down in Brisbane and at an afterparty got to meet Pepper Keenan ( Down, Corrosion of Conformity) and thank him for all the years of very special music etc etc. Got to tell Pep that a Hefe i brew is called the "Wiseblood Wheat Beer" (named after the 1996 C.O.C album) and that it was AABC Champion Wheat Beer of 2007...his reaction..."whoa , **** yeah man,ya gotta save me a bottle. Ya know , i own a bar in New Orleans,a very fine, famous drinkin establishment, we gotta get that shit over there"....and one day i will...
...true story...
...that may only be interesting to metal fans, but its still a highlight of my life.... me_and__Pep.jpg

...also, mashing in to High on Fire's "Fireface" with improve your efficiency by 5% straight away...

...anyway sorry about long rambling post...Cheers , Scott...

Talking about Triple jjj I done my last mash and that Arnold Schwarzenegger song came on, like 80s retro funk with Arnold doin a voice over......the beers gonna be tough as nails I reckon. :super:

Dude, once that beer is ready, you HAVE to listen to that song whilst having your first sample. The sips MUST be timed with the music

Up. Doowwn.
Up. Doowwn.
Up. Dowwwn.
C'mon, MORE ENERGY!

:beerbang:

I'd just stick to jazz personally, it wont affect the mash but will make your shed much cooler

You are so wrong.

As far as I know Kunze advocates a step mash using old hot jazz to provide a consistent upward thermal gradient.

I have taken this further and utilise fusion jazz to stabilise my rests. I once even did a single infusion to an hour of nothing but Bob James "Nautilus", it worked surprisingly well, trials with "take me to the mardi gras" developed excessive fruitiness, possibly due to uneven hotness resulting in ferulic acid.

Acid jazz can be used to lower the pH, though I prefer 5.2 by Five Star.

Forget acidulated malt or 5.2 stabiliser, just play Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

sex pistols and GG allin. no wonder my beer tastes like shit.

I am totally down with this, my fondest memory of my old unit was sitting in my brew cave (a one car garage that was actually too small for a car to fit into) on a sunday, usually in the midst of a 10 hour double brew session on my old 3 tier gravity fed system. listening to some old school blues on PBS and playing along on my semi accoustic and having a few while waiting for the mash, boil or whatever else and i gotta tell ya, not only did my guitar sound super f'in awesome but i'm pretty sure my efficiancy increased by at least 3%!

even if i was able to do it again (don't live there anymore and also sold my old system), i think my missus would kill me. so unfortunatly, i can't help test the theory.

brew on and rock on

-Phill

just noticed the new hahn superdry ad on tv shows the drummer beating the drums holding the mash

looks like this is the true secret of making good beer

Latest posts

Back