Draught Kegs At Dans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Dropped into Dan Murphey's this afternoon for a look around, noticed a new (to me) range of 5L draught kegs.

Franziskaner, Lowenbrau, a Schwarz I can't recall the name of as well as Bitbuger and Heineken which I'd seen before.

I've had Heineken from one of these kegs before and wasn't too impressed, but 5L of Franziskaner for $30 (I was quoted by the beer man) is not bad at all.

Anyone tried the weizen from one of these kegs?

Made me wonder why the Dans near me never gets bottled Franziskaner in. :huh:

Kev

Dropped into Dan Murphey's this afternoon for a look around, noticed a new (to me) range of 5L draught kegs.

Franziskaner, Lowenbrau, a Schwarz I can't recall the name of as well as Bitbuger and Heineken which I'd seen before.

I've had Heineken from one of these kegs before and wasn't too impressed, but 5L of Franziskaner for $30 (I was quoted by the beer man) is not bad at all.

Anyone tried the weizen from one of these kegs?

Made me wonder why the Dans near me never gets bottled Franziskaner in. :huh:

Kev

I got one of the 5L kegs of Franziskaner for $20 a few weeks back from bws.

Tastes great imo, and just the right size to drink in a night.

you have to drink them pretty much in one go otherwise it'll be flat as a tac the next day.

I grabbed one of these last weekend for a BBQ. Tasted great, and was just the right amount for the night. Although I did share a little of it.

Cheers

HK

Would it be possible to refill these kegs with primed brew.

Cheers brad

Like to hear what the schwartzbier would go like, I was in berlin 2 nights ago and had a lowenbrau schwartzbier, was pretty darn good.

i was at a party recently with one of each of these 5L kegs. the lowenbrau, heineken and bitburger were standard 'euro-lager' nice on a hot days type of beers- as they usually are-, the schwarz was pretty good- a bit light on the malt character for my tastes, but was my first drink of the style and the franzikaner was easily the pick of the bunch, nicely carbonated, beautifully tart and tasty.

remi

I've never had one of these but is there any chance at all you could mod them and make them into gassed party kegs?

Looks like your answer is a few replies up the page.

Looks like your answer is a few replies up the page.

slightly longer answer: yes of course you can - i've done this heaps of times. although after a few uses the seal on the bottom round the tap can start to dribble a bit.

you just have to get the little rubber plug out of the bottom of the keg by shaking it around upside down and waiting for it to fall out. then when you seal up your primed brew simply plug it in from the top (so that when you want to drink it you don't push it into the beer like you first did, but just pull it out). if you re-plug it after a glass or two it will keep reasonable level of carb for a couple of days, but obviously best all in one go.
works best with low CO2 beers like bitters.

kevo, i was after more than 'no'.

Reason I ask is because if you could refill and regas these, or refill these with beer that already has absorbed co2, they'd make an absolutely perfect party keg and you'd be able to use one of those chiller/dispenser devices that you can buy from good guys etc.

I can see a whole 'sub culture' of home brewing starting by this method. You'd have people that use glass bottles, people that use these draught kegs, and people that use cornies / commercial kegs.

If DIY modification isn't possible perhaps a company could design a transformation kit?

Or even sell kegs of the same size but with fittings that allow home brew?

I can just see the potential being so massive that someone saying 'short answer: no' is not enough to satisfy my question. Know what I mean?

Does anyone's local Dans still sell these 5l kegs? I was really hanging out to buy a keg of Franziskaner last night after a hot week and all they had here was Heineken. :angry:

If you are in Melbourne please tell me where you have recently seen these!

Thanks!

Went to my local Dan's last weekend. Was advised that the Fraziskaner and Kostritzer kegs are "DELETED".

Tried to source some at Woolworths/ Mac's and they were all out too.
I'm P'd off now. The guy who was running the local Mac's advised that they would be restocking after Christmas.
That was obviously just to placate me.

Latest posts

Back