Dr Tim's Yeast,anyone Used It.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bond

Reaction score
Doing a bit of googling around for info on Dr Tim's ale and found a press release with some interesting info HERE scroll down to the second article.

I'd always assumed it was just a filtered ale that was seeded with a lager strain like LCPA is. but this excerpt surprised me,

"
"Coopers have canned their Pale Ale. Sort of.
Its a beer very similar to Pale, but with a slightly different brewing structure and yeast, to allow the Ale to undergo natural secondary fermentation in a modern aluminium can."

So if it's a different strain of yeast to Pale then is it worth a trial,or has anyone already tried it?
My money is still on it being a lager strain.
Anybody got any info or goss on this that would be of interest to us yeast capturers out there.

Dave

I had a read of that site and was wondering if they use a different yeast in mild ale also as its available in tinnies and tastes almost the same as stubbies.

Never seen the beer and this is the first I have heard of it.
The article is neatly divided between the marketing side "different brewing structure (????) and yeast" and the eponymous Dr Tim 'imself.
First off congrads to Coopers and Amcor for doing this..think about..better still hold in one hand an unopened stubbie and the other an unopened can, squeeze them both..I know that you want to..the can submits just that little but then returns to form, the bottle..its as cold as ice..now chuck them on a packaging line...no worries.
Open them both..you know what happens, that gentle can squeeze results in permanent deformation...
Put uncarbonated beer in a bottle..no worries we do it every day..no kid golves required..put it in a can..danger will robinson you will all be crushed.
How do they do it?
No idea............but to hazard a few guesses.....I am assuming btw that the lips at the top and bottom of beer cans are all about handling issues and nothing about aesthetics..
1)..They could, at canning time introduce just enough CO2 to harden the can sufficient for reasonable handling and let the natural conditioning pump the walls with enough strength so its safe outside the nursery..I for a while naturally condioned my keg beers, but to do so I had to add just enough gas to seal.
2).. They could, at the very last points of fermentation seal their fermentors allowing a small build up of CO2, chill them to just below freezing, thus dissolving quite a bit of that small amount of CO2, fill the cans, pass them through the standard pasteurisation set-up..but at temperatures far too low for pasteurisation but not so high as to kill the yeast (40C in a flash with Coopers would be fine), not then cool them down (cause they aint that hot) but there will be enough CO2 released to make the can sufficiently hard for reasonable handling, condition then send em out.

If I were a betting man..I would not bet on either of the above, but it is an interesting process..and if they are still using it (2004 is a while ago) should be recognised.
Toss your Guiness..this Coopers process truly is genius (or ingenuity..or maybe just perspiration)

K

Dr K: Not exactly sure what at all you are talking about, but anyway: As Mr Bond has quoted: "allow the Ale to undergo natural secondary fermentation in a modern aluminium can."

Dr Tim's is carbonated the same as the rest of the Coopers ale range, and that same as most people carbonate in bottles: The cans are primed with sugar/whatever, and the beer in the cans go through extra fermentation to create more CO2 and carbonate.

Coopers do not pasteurise their bottle/can conditioned ales. Beer will not bottle/can condition if there is no yeast to condition it.

MrBond. Am trying to organise a beer tasting with you but "This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or their personal messenger inbox is full."

If I were a betting man..I would not bet on either of the above, but it is an interesting process..and if they are still using it (2004 is a while ago) should be recognised.
Toss your Guiness..this Coopers process truly is genius (or ingenuity..or maybe just perspiration)

K

Heres a article from winestate mag which comments on the things you mentioned Dr K, doesn't really give the 'how' though just just mentions some tid bits.
From here

Dr Tim's traditional ale on sale throughout SA

Australia 's first naturally conditioned beer in an aluminium can, Dr Tim's Traditional Ale, will go on sale throughout South Australia from next week.

A trial of Dr Tim's Traditional Ale at a major entertainment event in Adelaide during January attracted such strong support that its producer, Coopers Brewery, has decided to release the brand generally.

It will initially be offered in South Australia only.

Coopers Managing Director, Dr Tim Cooper, said that the technology which allowed naturally conditioned ales to be canned in aluminium had been developed in conjunction with Amcor , Australia 's largest beverage can manufacturer, and was believed to be a world breakthrough in packaging technology.

We believe that Coopers is the first brewery in the world to be offering naturally conditioned ales in aluminium cans, although we and others offered such ales in steel cans before, he said.

Dr Cooper, who is also Coopers' Chief Brewer, said the name Dr Tim's Traditional Ale had been employed by Amcor during product development and had stuck.

Offering ales in aluminium cans opens up a different section of the market for us and means that our products can be sold or taken to events where bottles are banned or are not appropriate, he said.

The Group General Manager, Amcor Metal Packaging, Mr Darryl Roberts, said Amcor had worked closely with Coopers over the last 12 months in conducting extensive trials to see how the aluminium cans would perform after being filled, packed on to pallets, stacked and then transported.

Around the world, naturally conditioned beer has traditionally been packaged in glass. So we are pleased to have been involved with Coopers' success in bringing the first naturally conditioned beer in an aluminium can on to the Australian market, he said.

Dr Cooper said packaging naturally conditioned ales in cans presented unique difficulties not experienced when canning lager style beers.

Virtually all lagers are carbonated and canned under pressure and then pasteurised to control any microbial contaminants. Coopers relies on secondary fermentation to carbonate its cloudy beers. Pasteurisation would kill the yeast responsible for this process, he said.

This means that special attention must be given to ensuring absolute cleanliness during the filling process for cloudy ales to avoid contamination by organisms that would otherwise be destroyed during pasteurisation.

Canning lagers under pressure also give aluminium containers the initial strength and rigidity to cope with normal palletising and stacking.

However, naturally conditioned ales are not canned under pressure because the carbon dioxide develops in the weeks after filling. Great care is therefore required to protect the cans during filling and storage in the period before the full carbonation is achieved.

Dr Cooper said that this was another reason why ales had only previously been canned in steel in the 1970s. However, packaging in steel posed the alternative risk of beer oxidation.

He said developing a method of satisfactorily packaging ales in cans was an important step in the brewery's continued growth and development.

Dr Tim's Traditional Ale is similar in beer style to our brewery's popular cloudy ales which represent our strength and expertise, he said.

He said further brews were likely to be offered in cans in the future.

Coopers recorded sales growth of 13.5% nationally in the first half of the 2003-04 financial year, led by enormous expansion in the Sydney and Melbourne markets.

Latest posts

Back