Dr Smurtos Ga (kit Version)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm going to put this one down for the first time. With a bit of research I have found the recipe online on several sites. Both recipes are the same except some mention steeping 250 grams of some caramalt or light crystal in the recipe, whilst the others don't have this step.

I have some copper tun crystal to add if I want. So will there be much difference between the two recipes? What one would you make? Anyone tried both ways?

TIA

I would add the crystal malt. There's a good article here[link below] about steeping if you need any pointers. Cheers.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=80

Have only done the crystal version, definitely recommend it. I imagine it gives the beer a bit more body and malty flavour. May be a bit thin/one dimensional without it?

This is what i make..
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg Wheat malt extract (liquid)
250 g Crystal Malt
15g amarillo at 15mins
15g amarillo at 5mins
15g amarillo @ 7days
Yeast: US-05

Definately add the crystal. If you are worried about bits of grain getting in your brew, use a grain bag. The steeped grain will add flavour and body to your beer.

I am a huge fan of the Dr Smurto golden ale. I only use 200g of light crystal and brew to 20 litres. Simple and very yummy. You won't regret it.

This is what i make..
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg Wheat malt extract (liquid)
250 g Crystal Malt
15g amarillo at 15mins
15g amarillo at 5mins
15g amarillo @ 7days
Yeast: US-05
US05

That's the version i would make. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back