favourite single hop for Dr Smurto's GA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Such a great and versatile ale malt bill. I've done it normal strength with citra, strengthened up as an IPA with a mix of hops, and slightly weaker as a session ale with cascade. Still yet to try the original Amarillo version, but all have been delicious so far.
Planning on brewing a slightly lower ABV version with Galaxy added late, as the father in law mentioned he recently tried s&w pacific ale and loved it, but he also enjoyed the citra DSGA version I made, so thinking galaxy with the DSGA grain bill will be a good mix.
What's everyone else's favourite hops for Dr Smurto's, and how does it stack up against the OG?

Such a great and versatile ale malt bill. I've done it normal strength with citra, strengthened up as an IPA with a mix of hops, and slightly weaker as a session ale with cascade. Still yet to try the original Amarillo version, but all have been delicious so far.
Planning on brewing a slightly lower ABV version with Galaxy added late, as the father in law mentioned he recently tried s&w pacific ale and loved it, but he also enjoyed the citra DSGA version I made, so thinking galaxy with the DSGA grain bill will be a good mix.
What's everyone else's favourite hops for Dr Smurto's, and how does it stack up against the OG?

I believe his favourite version uses Victoria which is not available commercially. I have 100g of flowers but that's not quite enough for a 21l, hence I stuck with Amarillo.

Made my 2nd lot yesterday with Amarillo the first one I was disappointed with at first but after 2-3 weeks it turned into a great beer and I loved it, hence is suggest giving Amarillo a go

Done it with Cascade. Turned out well. Even my son rated it one of the best beers I'd brewed.

I did my last with simcoe, was a few years ago now, it disappeared too quick! Might be on the cards again when I finally expand the tap range. Been A little lazy at times over the last year, but if I keep all taps loaded I could go with 2 variations.
Love this beer.

I've done the Amarillo version. Enjoyed it. Done the Rye version with only Caliente and well... Not really a golden ale. More German? Never used Caliente till then, but not one for this recipe that's for sure. Definitely give Amarillo a try with this one, it's the closest to the commercial, that the clone was supposed to be.

Back