Double dissolution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure where to stand on this. I asked myself "what's the use of having a government if nothing gets passed?" Well you could take 2 'excluded middle' angles -
  1. Nothing gets passed because they don't deserve to get passed, therefore the senate (or moreover independents) is doing their job properly
  2. Nothing gets passed because the senate is being difficult and unreasonable with demands
In reality probably somewhere in between, but at the moment tending towards #2 especially if you're a Liberal voter. This shouldn't be the case though because the primary outcome of an election is to put the party in power that represents the preferred views of the majority of the voters. We vote in the people we want (yeah yeah, we aren't all hippies or businessmen so there will always be unhappy voters - welcome to democracy) so that they can make decisions/bills/legislation that best represent the preferred goal. From this point of view - and a fair one I believe - the system is not working at present. When Labor was in I had the same opinion, they got voted in so they should be making the decisions even if Liberals think they are damaging. Because who knows, maybe they'll put forward a Greens policy that people scoff at now then in the future think "geez... that was a good move".

Fundamentally bad bills won't pass, and we've seen this often enough.

Come election season though the decision making turns into a popularity contest because every party wants to get voted in. Policies change from detail to rhetoric so the more gullible voters might swing, as politicians fight for survival so they can hold a seat. Why do they want to get in? So they can serve the country best of course! But it's more a case of self-interest to beat the other team than it is putting forward their ideal policies, because while they might be what's best for the country if the voters don't like it (and I'm pretty sure there are idiots voting in this country...) the voters won't put them in. Doesn't matter if they're Katter, Palmer United or Liberal - the sales pitch has to be consistent with what people want, not necessarily what's good for them.
Then when they get in power, should they give the public what they want or should the country be managed how their principles see fit? If they're a majority government, probably the latter. If they're not, it's a shitfight to hit common ground like the last Labor government. And then there's now where it doesn't really matter what goes forward, if it's not 100% PC and to everyone's taste it won't pass. Or it might get blocked because of one person's minority viewpoint, which is hardly fair.

I can't blame Turnbull for taking this approach no matter how much the independents might cry 'bully'. Their government was voted in, if I were him I would expect my legislation should be getting passed. Same goes for any other team. Probably a good time to clear any chaff too. Without a doubt though, whatever the outcome, the public will still whinge about who's in power and the parties will continue the slinging match for months/years to come while good policy takes a back seat to character attacks.

Big Mal is making some waves...

Bringing back in the Clean Energy thing...

I am betting that he is going to roll with a different agenda to Big Tone and upset the LNP cart

If he wins, he will stamp his authority as Big tones mates will have an agenda that will be unpopular and be basically be told to "sit in the corner"

There is a lot ridding on Big Mal

If he loses, all hell will break lose in the LNP camp

Pass me a Bourbon on ice as I sit in my club lounge... In fact, pass me several

There's too many wildcards in this one to comfortably predict anything at the moment. Shorten was making some headway in recent times. Will he find a way to shoot himself in the foot? Will Tony be offering more tips via the media in a Kevinish sort of way? Will they let Barnaby say ANYTHING or remind us that he is the Deputy Prime Minister? Can Morrison deliver a successful budget with no Five Star Generals to hide behind?

LAGERFRENZY said:
There's too many wildcards in this one to comfortably predict anything at the moment. Shorten was making some headway in recent times. Will he find a way to shoot himself in the foot? Will Tony be offering more tips via the media in a Kevinish sort of way? Will they let Barnaby say ANYTHING or remind us that he is the Deputy Prime Minister? Can Morrison deliver a successful budget with no Five Star Generals to hide behind?

Just wanted to point out that I live in a rural area

Those who wear checked shirts and Akubra's live and work here

The Nats are Loyal

They have Barnaby as their leader....

I wasn't suggesting in any way that Barnaby is disloyal - just identifying potential wildcards and loose cannons. The guy is truly one of the most unscripted out of any of the current batch of pollies that roam around Canberra. He manages to find a microphone and have his say about issues that have all of the others ducking and weaving. This can also be a liability in the context of a tightly disciplined election campaign.

Barnaby is not disloyal, but he does speak out.

In fact he is probably the only Nationals member that you have ever heard speak

Unfortunately the Nats are just there to get the Libs in

Which is sad, cause the Nationals do represent the farmers and they always get fucked over

I have respect for Barnaby and his outspoken views, because from a rural perspective he is putting across the issues facing farmers

Unfortunately he is just another party hack towing the line.

He would do much better if he could get the Nats to get some balls and have a go, instead of just sitting back like old farmers with a " she will be right mate " attitude

I am from Queensland and we have heard plenty of Country Party and then National Party members since my birth in 1961 - in fact we had Joh and his Cronies for bloody ages. I have heard all sorts of others Federally from Doug Anthony, Sinkers trough to Tim Fisher and the current crop. Right now in Qld we have the son of Katter threatening to use his "party's" votes to block the supply of budget bills so we are very well versed in what the wishes and issues of the "bush" are.

The biggest threat to Turnbull winning the next election is to prove that his Government is disciplined and in no way dysfunctional. They need to all sing from the same sheet verbatim for another 102 days.

LAGERFRENZY said:
The biggest threat to Turnbull winning the next election is to prove that his Government is disciplined and in no way dysfunctional. They need to all sing from the same sheet verbatim for another 102 days.
Its going to be a fun 102 days

Dont know about the rest of you...

But I really have got no idea what the **** is going on politicly

The LNP seem to be full of nutters who want to IMPOSE rule, and Big Mal is there because he is better than the alternative

Old world leadership candidates would forge relationships with peers by pressing the flesh, having a beer and forging lifelong relationships with enough of their peers so that when their chance came for a tilt there would be rusted on supporters who knew just what they were going to get when they looked the leader in the eye.

New world, the numbers are crunched by machine-men with smart phones, rounding up the herds of members with promises of pre-selections to prop up a leader who will say whatever it takes at the time to garner their votes.

All parties. The end game is that we just get manipulative autocrats whose power can't be challenged to rule the roost until they crash and burn...

wide eyed and legless said:
while abolishing the carbon tax.
Yep, and what a great job that has done. Mining is still slowing, the cost of electricity keeps going up and my grocery bills haven't declined in price.

At least Gina gets to pay a little less tax though, means she can put it into the liberal party coffers.

I doubt whether any sane person can blame abolishing the carbon tax for higher electricity, groceries or the slowdown of mining.
I took steps 10 years ago by installing solar when we were warned that electricity prices were going to skyrocket, since then the power company I am with has paid me, grocery prices will always go up with or without the carbon tax increased competition in the grocery sector and shopping around is the only way to keep groceries in check
As for mining slowing down, that goes hand in glove with the world economy not because Tony Abbot abolished the carbon tax.

LAGERFRENZY said:
Old world leadership candidates would forge relationships with peers by pressing the flesh, having a beer and forging lifelong relationships with enough of their peers so that when their chance came for a tilt there would be rusted on supporters who knew just what they were going to get when they looked the leader in the eye.

New world, the numbers are crunched by machine-men with smart phones, rounding up the herds of members with promises of pre-selections to prop up a leader who will say whatever it takes at the time to garner their votes.

All parties. The end game is that we just get manipulative autocrats whose power can't be challenged to rule the roost until they crash and burn...
Can't argue with that!

I think Barnaby will be under strict rules about what he says and when.
I can see him now, witthering on and a crook coming from the side lines grabbing him around the neck.....

Double dissolutions are great, and not as hard as people think - with exceptional results.

Try it on your next pils, wheat, lager or Belgian.

wide eyed and legless said:
I doubt whether any sane person can blame abolishing the carbon tax for higher electricity, groceries or the slowdown of mining.
I took steps 10 years ago by installing solar when we were warned that electricity prices were going to skyrocket, since then the power company I am with has paid me, grocery prices will always go up with or without the carbon tax increased competition in the grocery sector and shopping around is the only way to keep groceries in check
As for mining slowing down, that goes hand in glove with the world economy not because Tony Abbot abolished the carbon tax.
But the liberal faithful swore till they were black and blue the reason all those things were happening was because of labour's toxic tax. What happened when they abolished it? Sweet FA. Prices are still going up, and mining is still slowing down.

I do remember Abbott (and others) linking the slow down in mining directly to the carbon tax and that removing it would solve all our economic problems. You're right, no sane person would believe that the carbon tax was responsible, and as you correctly point out the decline was due to the slow down in the world economy more generally, however that isn't what was trumpeted by those who were trying to repeal it.

Adr_0 said:
Double dissolutions are great, and not as hard as people think - with exceptional results.

Try it on your next pils, wheat, lager or Belgian.
Decoctions, you mean decoctions!

There is hope for the world when a founder of a global wealth in oil actually speaks in anger towards they're own founded company for deceiving the population about the threat of man made climate change. Totally over the heads of Australian politics I know but just saying. We follow the big boys (US).
Global energy as being clean has one chance. That the big boys invest in it. They are the experienced with global energy production and the power of our direction. (good or bad). Its an inevitability.

Maybe off topic but not really. Australia is a great (small to medium sized) country but no doubt we follow the US in patterns even if it in a less dramatic way.

Sorry I'd love this thread to be full of jokes. I had one for the Double D. Cant think of it right now...

To elaborate on that last post check this. Interesting times we are in. I thought it worthy.

RFF'S DECISION TO DIVEST
The Rockefeller Family Fund is proud to announce its intent to divest from fossil fuels. The process will be completed as quickly as possible, as we work around the complications of modern finance, which is increasingly dominated by alternative investments and hedge funds.
While the global community works to eliminate the use of fossil fuels, it makes little sense—financially or ethically—to continue holding investments in these companies. There is no sane rationale for companies to continue to explore for new sources of hydrocarbons. The science and intent enunciated by the Paris agreement cannot be more clear: far from finding additional sources of fossil fuels, we must keep most of the already discovered reserves in the ground if there is any hope for human and natural ecosystems to survive and thrive in the decades ahead.
We would be remiss if we failed to focus on what we believe to be the morally reprehensible conduct on the part of ExxonMobil. Evidence appears to suggest that the company worked since the 1980s to confuse the public about climate change’s march, while simultaneously spending millions to fortify its own infrastructure against climate change’s destructive consequences and track new exploration opportunities as the Arctic’s ice receded. Appropriate authorities will determine if the company violated any laws, but as a matter of good governance, we cannot be associated with a company exhibiting such apparent contempt for the public interest.
To operationalize this decision, the Board has instructed its advisors, effective immediately, to eliminate holdings of ExxonMobil, and all coal, and tar sands-based companies outside the portions of the portfolio managed by third parties, and to keep exposures for these three categories of investment below 1 percent across the entire portfolio. The Family Fund’s Finance Committee will soon be entering the second phase of its divestment work, which will entail seeking suitable alternatives to certain commingled funds now held. The field of Socially Responsible Investing is dynamic and growing and we are confident that a variety of options will soon emerge for mid-sized endowments such as ours.
Needless to say, the Rockefeller family has had a long and profitable history investing in the oil industry, including ExxonMobil. These are not decisions, therefore, that have been taken lightly or without much consideration of their import. But history moves on, as it must. Indeed, it is past time for all people of good will to do everything in their collective power to make our new path one that recognizes the deep interdependence between humanity’s future and the health of our natural systems.

Back