double brew days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troopa

Reaction score
Just finishing off a 9 hour brew day. Backs killing me i smell and all i can taste is fresh malt when i drink a beer.

Benefit is that i have a 4 NC cubes full at the end.

2 cubes of a 50:50 wheat with EKG and saaz
2 cubes of oatmeal stout with EKG

Last month i did a similar day and ended up blending 2 of the cubes together. I ended up with..

1 Keg Wit
1 Keg Oatmeal Stout london Ale
The other 2 kegs i blended 1/3 - 2/3

So they were supposed to be a golden and a porter but my stout was sitting at 90ebc so infact ended up with a stout and a dark porter

This month ive dropped the color on the stout to 65EBC and should end up with a Keg of golden ale and a porter/brown

Moving forward into the warmer months ill be doing similar but more for saisons and american IPAs with a heap of cube hopping to change it up.

Any thought or ideas would be good from those of us that i time poor and have tried similar things that are winners?

Thanks

Double batching and a double brew day. Nice.

Your not a real brewer unless you double brew day!

I just done my first all grain brew day, a bloody double would have taken a hell of a lot longer on the old 3 ring burner I think :) but the 3 ring did do great I must say

i quite often do a double brew of my ipa base and cube hop into 2 different cubes with different hops. or a pilsener base recipe can split up into a pilsener and a saison using the different yeasts . or split a wheat beer base into a hefe and berlinner or use some fruity hops in one of the cubes for an american wheat. its amazing how different you can make the same split wort simply by changing yeast and or hop combinations one of my favourite things about no chilling.

homebrewkid said:
I just done my first all grain brew day, a bloody double would have taken a hell of a lot longer on the old 3 ring burner I think :) but the 3 ring did do great I must say
chuck an adjustable reg on the 3 ring and you can really crank up the heat.

I've done :

Pilsener base, left one cube as is and cube hopped the other to make an APA

ESB base, left one cube as an ESB and added 3L of wort that had 600g of Choc malt steeped for 2hrs and boiled for 20 mins into the other cube (this cube was meant to be a stout but was more like a porter)

and an APA base, lightly hopped one cube, heavy hopped the other to make an AIPA.

+1 for double brew day and +1 for good burners. I have a 3V system (hot liquor tun + burner, Eski mash tun, boil kettle + burner). While the 1st batch is boiling the second goes into the mash tun. It takes me about 3 hrs for 1 batch and 4.5 hrs for 2, plus only 1 clean up at the end.

Even with 1V system you should be able to cut this down by good preparation the night before.

Just did a double brew day today/tonight and man I need to step it up and start squeezing double batches out of my rig. I have read that it is possible with biab in a 50l keggle, I'll put it to the test next brew day - 2 cubes just doesn't seem like enough output for the amount of time I put in today! Still good fun though.

Troopa said:
Just finishing off a 9 hour brew day. Backs killing me i smell and all i can taste is fresh malt when i drink a beer.
This resonates with me - I tried my new smash wort and my IPA that's been brewing for 7 days and after that, every Hop Thief 8 that I drank tasted like malt.

I pretty much always double brew if i'm brewing in the daytime. It takes me about half an hour to get things ready for a brew and half an hour to clean everything and pack it up at the end, so double brewing means I use that effort for 2 brews rather than just 1.

I'm a 3 vessel brewer so basically I just do the first brew as normal, then when the first brew is boiling in the pot I crush grain and mash the 2nd batch, by the time the first brew has finished boil + chill I'm ready to sparge the second batch.

Means I take about 6-7 hours to do 2 batches at a lazy pace or 5 hours if i push it a bit harder

I expect that a double brew day with a BIAB system would take significantly longer than with 3V system.

As DJR said, you can start your 2nd batch when you are 1/2 way through the first.

My time for a double brew is similar... the difference between 5hrs and 6-7 is how organised you are prior to starting.

I do double brew days with my dodgy BIAB 2V system. Mash in crown urn then run off into a kettle and do the boil on a 3 ring burner - I also do a small sparge with a pot on the stove. I basically get the second batch for an extra 90 mins or so effort (1st batch boil is complete and draining to cube when the 2nd brew is mashing out).

I mill my grain the night before and fill the urn with strike water and set temp with a timer. That way I can wake up and mash in straight away; and have 2 batches done by lunch.

LAGERFRENZY said:
topic theme inspired me to search this site - searching can take hours off your next brew day:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/63256-piggy-back-brew-day-two-beers-one-boiler/

Ideas from this can be converted to whatever method in which you brew. Thanks BribieG.
Wow, that's a good necro. I'd just come back after a 3 month ban. Back in the days of Bum, Darren etc.

Since then I've acquired a small Crown 20L urn for doing small batches (for comps mainly) and I now do a double brew day - 40l to fill two kegs.

I split the ingredients between a 25L brew in the 40L urn and a 15L brew in the 20L urn then combine into my 60L fermenter. I stagger the two mashes by about 20 mins so there's always something to do, with the first brew kit cleaned up and put away before the second brew is finished.

Bribie G said:
Wow, that's a good necro. I'd just come back after a 3 month ban. Back in the days of Bum, Darren etc.
Haha. I feel your pain. Been there too, but mine was 1 year!

Not quite a double brew day but did my first brew and bottle day last weekend. Bottled a saaz pils and then tipped a helles onto the yeast cake. Definitely felt like a more productive day than my usual brew and drink beer or bottle and drink beer days

As often as possible I will bottle on a Friday, wash yeast, chill overnight to compact yeast cake. On Saturday take it out before brewing, discard liquid and allow to warm to pitching temp.

I try to plan for a low OG beer followed directly with higher OG beer with same yeast strain.

Pitching straight on to yeast cake leaves behind trub and dead cells that you do not want in contact with your beer. If you want a more efficient brew day double brew is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back