• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Double Batches In A 55 Litre Esky?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score
Evening brewers.
Been thinking about it for awhile. In my searches, I have found that some are doing double batches in this size esky, but most are fly sparging. Is it possible to batch sparge (3 runnings maybe) medium gravity double batch beers in a 55 litre esky mash tun?

Would I need to reduce my grain to water ratio (to enable more room) and increase my mash out temp water to achieve overall mash out temperatures?
Efficiency will suffer?
Just thinking on the page here guys, any help would be awesome.

Cheers, john.

edit- I don't why I posted this in marketplace. :chug:

If, by double batch, you mean 10gallon, I do them in a 40L water cooler :eek:

I can't tell you what water/grist ratio off the top of my head as it's been a while since I brewed, but it was pretty low. The efficiency still seems okay though. It's a pain to do such a large batch in such a small esky, and I am planning on upgrading, but I think 55L would probably be fine.

Evening brewers.
Been thinking about it for awhile. In my searches, I have found that some are doing double batches in this size esky, but most are fly sparging. Is it possible to batch sparge (3 runnings maybe) medium gravity double batch beers in a 55 litre esky mash tun?

Would I need to reduce my grain to water ratio (to enable more room) and increase my mash out temp water to achieve overall mash out temperatures?
Efficiency will suffer?
Just thinking on the page here guys, any help would be awesome.

Cheers, john.

HEY MATE,

IMO: You could do it easy! What size kettle do you have?

My thoughts go like this:

Double batch, lets say 10kg of grain, so at 2.5L per Kg ratio its 25L of water and 10 kg of grain, what is grain displacement? I would guess absolutely no more thn 1L per kg...

So thats, 25L + 10L grain displacement = 35L! So in a 55L eski = EASY!

Mash out may be the problem, if you believe it to be critical! ;)

If mash out is not so critical than it goes:

Mash into 25 odd L's.

Drain into kettle, should get about 15L - due to about 1L per kg grain absorption.

Say you want 46L post boil, allowing for 15% evaporation thats 54L pre boil.

You have 15L and need another 40L = 2 batch sparges of 20L each, yeah?

Your tun would handle that EASY!

If you have a 70L kettle = go for it!

You may not be able to hit mash out prior first runnings but just work what temp your first batch sparge needs to be to hit mash out and you will not drop any efficiency IME!

anyway, 2c.

Hope it makes sense and if it does hit me up if you wanna know more...

:icon_cheers:

I do double batches in a rubbermaid 55l esky. usually do 3 batch sparges. 1st i almost fill the esky, then next two are 15l with the last being about 77'c. I end up with about 50 - 55l in a 60l SS boiler & get 2 cubes of about 23l.
I find the limit is about 10kg of grain when the mash is getting very thick.

cheers

Cheers for the replies, fellas. :beer:

Im gonna find myself a 60 plus litre cheapo pot then and do me some double batches! Makes sense, with the amount of time and fookin around.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Cheers for the replies, fellas. :beer:

Im gonna find myself a 60 plus litre cheapo pot then and do me some double batches! Makes sense, with the amount of time and fookin around.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Bloke a good place for cheap pots is CH May Catering Supplies in O'Connor
Address: 87 Forsyth St, O'connor, WA, 6163

Phone number: (08) 93373888

I got my 90 litre Ally pot for $155 about 12 months ago.
Cheers
Doug

double batches are the go,so much time and effort goes in to doing AG batches so to get 2 cubes full at the end is far better than one. I use a 55lt esky and it works way better with double batches (50 litre) than single batches. Fly sparge into 80 litre pot with perfect room for the boil.
Wish i had some grain id be into right now as work got cancelled for today. :(

I do single batches in a 26 litre esky, with mash out and batch sparging (only sparge once). If my grain bill goes much over 6.5 kg my mash out really just becomes part of the first sparge and I do a second one. I would guess 55 L would be easy peasy.

If you are looking to double batch think about a bigger pot.
40ish litres into the fermented is going to start as 50+ in the boiler so 60 is not going to give much room for a boil over to be caught.
I know people work with 50 litre keggles it's just that you have the option to choose and make life a bit easier.

Edit: oh and I run a 55 willow which does ok. The willows aren't true to label size as they count the lid space as well. Still comfortably do 50-60 batches in it though.

Bloke a good place for cheap pots is CH May Catering Supplies in O'Connor
Address: 87 Forsyth St, O'connor, WA, 6163

Phone number: (08) 93373888

I got my 90 litre Ally pot for $155 about 12 months ago.
Cheers
Doug

Thanks, mate.
Will have to check them out.
It just seems that for a little extra gas I may aswell have a look at it. I've got two old willow cubes in the shed, so I'll be able to go the no chill option too.
I think it will also be awesome to have 2 fermenters of the same wort and experiment with different yeasts and dry hopping on the same batch.

Cheers to all :beer:

double batches are the go,so much time and effort goes in to doing AG batches so to get 2 cubes full at the end is far better than one.

all about the 80L triple. 4 kegs full at the end so you get to see them age. only takes me 4 and a half hours to with no chill.

Latest posts

Back