Double Batch Mash Capacity With Single Batch Boil Capacity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benf

Reaction score
I have this weekend upgraded from a 20l bucket for mashing to a 60l version so am now pretty sure I can get double batches out of the mash tun (I am batch sparging). My problem now is that my boiler is only 40l so at the moment I can only do mashes that give me a ore-boil volume around 35l.

My question is, can I mash a double batch and then boil half while holding the other half until the first boil is done ? If so, what is the best way to hold the half that is waiting for the boil?

any thoughts appreciated

Assuming you have an HLT, mash tun and kettle...

After last batch sparge addition, empty HLT. Put one half in HLT, other in kettle. Boil half, transfer to fermenter, put other half from HLT to kettle.

Only extra thing you might want to do... split the batch into quarters, boil the 1st and 4th quarters together and the 2nd and 3rd together. That will reduce the effects of "caramelisation" as people call it, when boiling concentrated first runnings.

Well I'm certainly no expert here kiwi but I'd expect your problem is going to be working out your hop utilization. The first boil will be full of first runnings goodness and the second will be watery. As I understand it a higher gravity wort will need more hops for the same utilization. I would probably put all the hops in the second boil. Be conservative in the target IBU and be on the look out for potentially more utilization than expected, winding back on bitterness additions on the next brew if necessary.

If you are going to have the mash sitting around warm for all that time I'd also make sure I did a mash out to halt enzyme activity.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Also mash out to slow enzyme activity especially for the second batch.
Have you considered partigyle, then you will get two beers that can be quite different?

I have this weekend upgraded from a 20l bucket for mashing to a 60l version so am now pretty sure I can get double batches out of the mash tun (I am batch sparging). My problem now is that my boiler is only 40l so at the moment I can only do mashes that give me a ore-boil volume around 35l.

My question is, can I mash a double batch and then boil half while holding the other half until the first boil is done ? If so, what is the best way to hold the half that is waiting for the boil?

any thoughts appreciated
When you say double batch are you talking 40 litres into the fermenter? If you are why not sparge to your boiler (safe) capacity giving you 30-35 into the fermenter and top off with (boiled?) water? Your efficiency will be down a bit but not a major issue just chuck more grain in you generously size MLT.

If you are doing more like 50 litre batches and are commited to extracting every drop then you have your old 20 litre MLT bucket for the bits that wont fit in the boiler first time round. Boil (with hops) as much as you can first boil, cool, chuck in fermenter. Boil second bit for half an hour with minimal hops until break has happened, cool, chuck in fermenter.

There are lots of ways of going about it, but regardless, do a mash out to stop conversion. The way I see it, the options are..

if you want a double batch of the same beer, run the wort out and mix both runnings ( run half the 1st runnings into fermenter 1, and half into fermenter 2. Do the same with the 2nd runnings). Then boil the contents of fermenter 1, and whilst it is boiling, clean and sanatise the fermenter it just came out of. Repeat for fermenter 2. If you're planning on going into a double fermenter, it makes mixing the runnings easier, but then after you get half on the boil, you would need somewhere to transfer the 2nd half to, to free up the fermenter to take boil 1.

If you want them to be different beers, ie partigyle, its quite a bit easier, just go straight to kettle with the first runnings, then when that is done, boil the second runnings. As long as the mashout was hot enough to stop activity, it should be fine.

or as enoch said, you could sacrifice a little efficiency and just sparge with less water to get a concentrated boil, and top up at the end. The lower the gravity of the recipe, the easier this is to do.

Whichever way you go about it, just make sure that mashout was hot enough, and check BG and ammend hop schedule if required. Personally, I would be going the partigyle route.

I vote that you go the partigyle route cause you get 2 beers for not much more effort. :icon_chickcheers:

60% of the extract will be in the first runnings & 40% in the 2nd. use your software to work out 2 brews based on the same grain bill split 60:40. This will ensure you calculate the right hopping rates for each beer.

The differing gravities allow you to make a "big" and a "smaller" beer which you can hop quite dfferently eg Russian imperial stout/foreign extra & a belgian golden strong/blonde.

Yep, partigyle is great, doing a Belgium tripple and a pilsner together next

partigyle definitely sounds interesting to me. where can I find more info on this method, ideas of recipes etc. Also, when you all talk about getting a good mashout temperature hot enough to stop activity, how hot is hot enough and how does this work with batch sparging?

If anyone does partigyle method with batch sparge, could you take me through the method, volume additions and temperature etc. I am really keen to give this a go as the idea of two different beers from one grain bill definitely appeals.

thanks to all who have replied so far.

Sure, a mash out of 78 degrees is fine.
Batch sparging and Partygyle go hand in hand. There is alot of info in the net, just google it.
Basically find two recipes with the same base malt, one higher OG one lower. Combine the total weight pf the two 20 lt recipes and mash in.
Mash in as normal and top up then collect the first lot of runnings, this will be your high gravity beer.
Sparge to get your lower gravity wort next. Boil as two seperate beers.
You can steep crystal malts seperate and add to the wort or add adjuncts if doing a Belgium style.

Did a partigyle at the end of April.

Did an english IPA, (well, technically a 2IPA but only just ticked over into that style) and a kiwi pale ale.

Much easier than i thought.

I added the 2 grain bills together then allowed for a drop in efficiency. I split 50/50 which is where i went wrong, 60/40 would have been perfect.

I am in the same situation as you, 55L mash tun but only a 50L kettle thats just that little bit too small to do double batches (40L).

Reminds me i should do another one soon. Maybe an english IPA and a dark mild (add dark grains when sparging.) or ordinary bitter.

A few links i have bookmarked

Link
Link
Link

Cheers
DrSmurto

Latest posts

Back