Don't Brew Pi$$ed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work on a drinking ratio of 0.5 pints per litre of beer brewed. This is based on an into the fermenter volume, sometimes on a preboil volume if I am feeling generous. Late drinking levels may be increased to 1.0 - 1.5 pints, depending upon the style of beer being brewed.

:lol:

Do you factor that into your 'losses' when formulating a recipe?

:icon_cheers:

If my maths and guess is right, you're slamming down around 10 pints per brew day?

imagesCA4W7548.jpg

Drinking beer while brewing is the necessary sacrifice to the beer gods and if you don't get amongst it, your beer will fail miserably.

I knew it. I've always noticed that a little bit of magic gets passed on to the next batch.

I did this accidently tuesday night. Had some friends over, and got way to involved with the freshly balanced keg fridge. According to the boys I polished off around 11 pints of Munich Lager. Everyone else stopped at a somewhat sensible level.

Woke up for work at 7 the next morning like I'd been hit by a truck.

No brews for me on brew day as of yet, I'm still learning the ropes so to speak, so no need to introduce anything else that would help me forget hahaha

My main issue (sometimes even done sober) is transferring liquids from one container to another with the tap on the receiving vessel open... Usually 10 seconds of thinking 'why are my feet wet' before the inevitable 'oh crap'...

I made a 15 minute APA and plonked all the hops in at the start of the boil instead of at 15 minutes.

It was almost as bitter as I felt.

However, I will continue to brew while drinking - or is it drink while brewing?

My main issue (sometimes even done sober) is transferring liquids from one container to another with the tap on the receiving vessel open... Usually 10 seconds of thinking 'why are my feet wet' before the inevitable 'oh crap'...

:D

you know youre a dedicated homebrewer when.....

I know that feeling :(

Was changing the oil in the cruiser and forgot to put the sump plug back in. 11.5L of J-Max oil all through my garage. Needless to say, nothing will rust in there for quite a while.

I'm already forgetting my whirfloc/hops additions, without a beer!

evildrakey:

Weigh them all out beforehand and put in order.

I use biggest container for early hop additions through to smaller, placed in order on the table.

The other way to do it is weigh out and label each container with masking tape or even just a small piece of paper in each with a number. Set an alarm. If you still struggle, draw up a table which has hop types in the left vertical column and addition times in the horizontal top row. Cross out each as you add so if you get confused, you have an easy reference. Needless to say whirlfloc and yeast nutrient are in with the ten minute additions if you have them.

I do this if I hopburst or do a double brewday.

These days, especially during the warmer months, I find Monday nights are the best days to brew. I set everything up the night before, fill my urn and add my salt additions, set the thermostat to 70C and then set a timer to turn the urn on at 4pm the next day. Come home from work at 5:30 and dough in straight away, all done and dusted by 10 - 10:30pm.

1. my weekends are too precious to spend 5 hours fussing about in the backyard.
2. I never really feel like downing more than 1 - 2 beers on a monday night.
3. There's never anything else to do on a monday night

As of late, I've been making FWH + cube hopped beers, so there's not much chance of getting those mixed up as I have the cube addition next to the cube, and the FWH addition in the keggle.

But I will admit, I've had one of those days where I've started brewing, had a few mates come over for a few drinks, wake up the next day to find it all nicely cubed, and everything probably more clean than it would be normally.

Drinking really seems to bring out the best in me :icon_cheers:

Sponge

evildrakey:

Weigh them all out beforehand and put in order.

Lol... I'm pretty good on hop and adjunct additions... Just on closing taps...

You said you forgot.

Back to drinking while brewing then.

I think you might be referring to me. Good suggestion. That should make it pretty straightforward/dickhead proof when ti comes time for additions. Also easy to see if you have forgotten anything at all.

interesting side question - at what point in the brew do you crack the first beer?

For me, it's the start of the boil usually, or sometimes during the sparge.

If I get too hammered the beer still turns out ok it's the cleaning up part that doesn't

I weigh out my hops after I start the boil.. 90 min boil, so 30 mins until the first 60 min addition.

Crack a beer after weighing out :)

I don't know how you lot can brew pissed! I managed to lock myself out for an hour after flameout stone cold sober, I'd hate to think what would happen if I had a few during the process.

Mind you, I normally weigh out the grain, hops, water salts and set everything up the night before so I don't forget anything on brew day. I'll normally have several pints during this process so I have to brew with a stinking hangover the next day.

I work on a drinking ratio of 0.5 pints per litre of beer brewed. This is based on an into the fermenter volume, sometimes on a preboil volume if I am feeling generous. Late drinking levels may be increased to 1.0 - 1.5 pints, depending upon the style of beer being brewed.
Jeezuz Malted. If I did that I'd have to have 27.5 Pints. And thats at your non-generous rate.
I guarantee there would be 0L getting to the fermenter if I had 27.5 Pints.

If my maths and guess is right, you're slamming down around 10 pints per brew day?
Sometimes 11 pints but it can lead to brewed beers of unpredictable characteristics. You might even get some skunk in your product. If my missus is lucky I might get my junk in her, or at least that's my logic at the time. Truth be told I'd be lucky to bang a door in that state.
A ratio of 0.25 for a 22L batch is better but you can still be on shaky ground even at these levels. I try not to wear wobbly boots in the brewing area as it is not a safe practice.
Perhaps if it concerns you, you should save your drinking for flameout additions? Or maybe a single big whirlpool drink? Certainly late drinking leads to a greater perception of flavour, or perception in general (as oppossed to regular high volume drinking before and throughout the brewing process).
Hello Spinner, I am glad you came in.

Do you factor that into your 'losses' when formulating a recipe?
Now that is a good question!
Depending upon how you look at it.
I know chaps who are fond of drinking straight from their fermenter, post fermentation, so I would say that the drinking ratio would certainly be relevant to bottling or kegging volumes and thus should be a consideration for deciding what the batch volume should be.

In the BS2* scenario below, I would advise a larger batch size.
2yxkjfn.jpg

*Not based on 'Beersmith 2' but based on 'Bullshit 2'. In fact, this whole post is based on my BS2.

;)

I had a few too many one night and melted all the skin of my hand rescuing a cube full of 95 deg c IPA that fell over. I remember looking ta my fast swelling fingers and thinking...... they will cut off my wedding ring at the hospital, so i pulled it off..... and it took a lot of skin off my finger on the way :(

while in a lot of pain, i quickly sealed up the cube (couldn't waste all the hard work), grabbed a bottle of whiskey on the way up the stairs, swallowed a few strong painkillers and sat on a chair with my bright red hand in the kitchen sink under running cold water, and drank scotch as was my want!

This was at about 11pm and when the wife came home at 1am from work she said........ WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

I just smiled and said....... I just drank half a bottle of laphroaig.... that's all :p

the 2 hrs under water stopped 90% of the blistering, i was lucky.

I have also picked up a very large flame out addition and put it in as a bittering addition.... and then thought, Ahhh shit! Strait into promash to calculate the damage and recalc the hops.

I dont mind brewing half cut..... you never know whats going to happen!

nothin like a few brews for inspiration, some of my best brews were done half cut,
just wish i'd remember to write down the mistakes instead of trying to repeat it unsuccessfully
on future brew days, gotta agree with kev though, once the first hop addition is added it's way safer
to over indulge, gonna have to invest in some self closing fv taps, keep going to bed with sticky feet.

Sometimes 11 pints but it can lead to brewed beers of unpredictable characteristics. You might even get some skunk in your product. If my missus is lucky I might get my junk in her, or at least that's my logic at the time. Truth be told I'd be lucky to bang a door in that state.
A ratio of 0.25 for a 22L batch is better but you can still be on shaky ground even at these levels. I try not to wear wobbly boots in the brewing area as it is not a safe practice.
Perhaps if it concerns you, you should save your drinking for flameout additions? Or maybe a single big whirlpool drink? Certainly late drinking leads to a greater perception of flavour, or perception in general (as oppossed to regular high volume drinking before and throughout the brewing process).
Hello Spinner, I am glad you came in.

Now that is a good question!
Depending upon how you look at it.
I know chaps who are fond of drinking straight from their fermenter, post fermentation, so I would say that the drinking ratio would certainly be relevant to bottling or kegging volumes and thus should be a consideration for deciding what the batch volume should be.

In the BS2* scenario below, I would advise a larger batch size.
2yxkjfn.jpg

*Not based on 'Beersmith 2' but based on 'Bullshit 2'. In fact, this whole post is based on my BS2.

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats ******* hilarious!

Best post ive read in ages mate.

* gotta love MS Paint dont you?

Back