Dogbolter Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullfrog

Reaction score
So I did a search do find out about the hops that are used in the Matilda Bay Dogbolter Dark Lager, and the best I got was a 'memory lane' type thread that was started by PistolPatch from before he'd ever tried even steeping grains. He actually said in the OP, "You are dealing with a newbie here whose only boiled 6 litres before and has never steeped grain so the simpler the advice the better!" Obviously well before he went on to be the BIAB virtuoso that he is now.

Anyway, making a beer, and I'd love some advice on the hop schedule. I'm tweaking what I think the MB Dogbolter is all about, in the aim to make it a touch heavier in the body and to give it a bit more yeast fruitiness by using a nice estery English ale yeast.

The grist that I'm tentatively thinking of is:

3.00kg Munich
1.00kg Pilsener
0.25kg Naked Oats
0.20kg Choc Malt
0.20kg Crystal Malt
0.10kg Black Malt

Expected OG: 1.045

I know that Dogbolter has quite a bit of sweetness at the back of the palate, so if I should alter the grain bill then say so, but I'm really looking for advice on the hopping schedule.

The Dogbolter, to me, has a very currant-ish flavour. I've had subtle currant hints from Northern Brewer in the past, so was thinking of that for bittering, and I've only heard "currant" from Bramling Cross, though I've never used it. Was thinking of getting myself some Bramling Cross and throwing in two late additions, but I wanted to see if there was any better advice.

Anybody brewed a Dogbolter? Anybody think they've got a better idea for hops? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Their website says that they add Hersbrucker hops for aroma etc. Alot of other info on the net points to using Goldings/Fuggles/Other English Hops for bittering/flavour. Not sure if that helps?

Dogbolter is now a Munich Dunkel style so hersbrucker and other european hops would be the obvious choice.

A nice munich dunkel recipe would give you something in the region of it...

Brendanos and I were discussing this beer yesterday while on the brew. He has attempted to make a similar beer a few times, but we did not discuss hops. He did mention the use of crystal and roast wheat though, which he believed were in the original beer. He never nailed it though and moved onto other styles.

The Dogbolter, to me, has a very currant-ish flavour. I've had subtle currant hints from Northern Brewer in the past, so was thinking of that for bittering, and I've only heard "currant" from Bramling Cross, though I've never used it. Was thinking of getting myself some Bramling Cross and throwing in two late additions, but I wanted to see if there was any better advice.

Anybody brewed a Dogbolter? Anybody think they've got a better idea for hops? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

....black currant flavours for me are a sign of oxidised dark malts particularly munich malts...the high melanoidin content of these malts is generally believed to protect dark beers against rapid staling, but i've had both pro/am experience to the contrary....currant = oxo....i wouldnt add any hop to enhance currant flavour, that will happen all by itself over time...keep o2 out and you can have a remarkably stable beer,allow it in and you get black currant... hop wise i'd go for Hallertau Mittlefrue or Liberty...Liberty starts out a little coarse but mellows beautifully after a little time....spicy,noble and very Germanic despite being US grown Hallertau...hope this helps...
...wonder what my boss would say, he brewed plenty of the real dogbolter in his time at MB...

Back