Does kit beer go off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno68

Reaction score
Hi everyone finally my first post.I was given a Coopers lager and a Tooheys special lager the other day the only problem is the best before date is almost two years old should i just make them and see how they go

thanks

What have you got to lose? Maybe get yourself some new yeast though, because I'm fairly sure it'll be in permasleep mode by now.

Yeah you can do. It will still make beer but it won't be the best beer.
My advice would be if it's your first go at home brewing, you might as well have a crack, but don't be put off by the results. The aim of this is just to practice the method of making beer and getting used to taking hydrometer readings etc.

If you have already made a few batches and are comfortable with the process, I wouldn't bother personally.

Like I said, they will make beer, but not the best beer.

Ingredients -extract, hops, grain etc can go stale or become oxidised.
Won't kill you, probably won't make amazing beer either. Up to you to do cost:benefit analysis on time/effort vs money savings.

Thanks for the reply and advice SLCMORRO,ALEX.TAS,MANTICLE I spoke to my local home brew shop today
and he said the same as you did its not first brew have been doing it for some time know just been in and out of hospital
hopefully i can stay out and get into a bit of grain brewing....

Well, not useful but I thought it was interesting - I discovered a james squire kit can I. The cupboard that was seven years out of date the other day and it was bulging out at every possible location like it was gonna blow any second.. So obviously it was either fermenting or rotting and producing gases.. I carefully loaded it into the wheelie bin and snuck around the corner.

Is it true the extract twang comes from old kits?

If so I wouldn't use it.

There is endless debate about extract twang- both what causes it and what exactly it is. One argument is that age either causes or increases the prevalence of extract twang, yes.

Hi and welcome on your first post. If the brews were a dark ale or stout I would use them but as they are both lager I wouldn't bother. Lager can be awkward at the best of times and I think you would end up with a crap beer.

Back when I was a kit brewer I found kits that were even close to their date to be pretty ordinary. The fresher the better. Life is too short to drink crap beer.

Latest posts

Back