Does cube swelling happen gradually?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
I made a duvel clone a month or two ago and cubed it. I've been noticing it over the last couple weeks and thought it had more oxygen than it should have. Looking at it tonight im positive that its swelling. I've had swollen cubes before and thay've pretty much exploded 3 day after being cubed.

If i hit this with yeast is there any risk? Bear in mind that this is a beer that i intend to store for at least 6 months.

cubes bra.jpg

This is how the cube looks today

Cubes swelling from infection that I have seen have been pretty quick but every microbe and circumstance is different. If concerned, get a big, active starter going and open the cube. If it smells like wort, pitch and ferment. If it smells like arse, ditch and lament.

Something is happening inside that cube. My cube that went south smelt like ass. I pitched yeast for fun and it made it worse. Haha. Good luck.

ekul said:
Bear in mind that this is a beer that i intend to store for at least 6 months.
Because of your brewing schedule or because you wanted to age the wort?

It's probably Sam sampling it :drinks:

I'd have a taste of it. If it taste ok and your ready to pitch yeast I would reboil it, cool and pitch just to be sure.

Yeah, his first infection!! I'v only had one other cube swell so its pretty unlucky. Just worried because of how slow the cube has swollen. I noticed it two weeks ago and thought it looked like it had a little toomuch air in it. BUt now its definitely swollen. Wish one of the guys at the biol labs could do a test for me on it

ekul said:
Yeah, his first infection!! I'v only had one other cube swell so its pretty unlucky. Just worried because of how slow the cube has swollen. I noticed it two weeks ago and thought it looked like it had a little toomuch air in it. BUt now its definitely swollen. Wish one of the guys at the biol labs could do a test for me on it
When you open it you may find you hadn’t sealed it tightly enough? That would explain how it started fermenting and why it’s not swelling up much in over two weeks.

Back