Dodgy Work Practices.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O'Henry

Reaction score
My gf currently works in child care and seems to be getting messed around a bit. She has had to go into work a few times for more than 2 hours for compulsory training and open days which they do not get paid for. Tomorrow she starts work at 8:30 and goes through till 4:30. She then has to go back at 6 for Epipen training (which she already knows as I have one) and stay after that for a staff meeting as well. She doesnt expect to finish till 9.
I keep telling her not to go if they are not getting paid but she is worried about losing her job. Is there an organisation that deals with this sort of stuff or does she just need to stick it out?
I know it doesnt seem like much, but she severely dislikes working there and isn't paid very well anyway. All adds up IMO.

The type of organisation you speak of is called a Union.

I would call the Liquor Hospitality & Miscellaneous Union or perhaps the Australian Services Union and see what they have to say.

Otherwise in Victoria I might call Trades Hall - NSW must have an equivalent - or maybe the ACTU - for advice and/or referral to the appropriate union.

Thirsty

Thanks. You pretty muched summed it up with just saying union. Will have a look now for the appropriate one. Massive mental blank on my behalf with this one...

ALL employers are required to provide a certain amount of employee training that is paid, I forget how many hours but it is law. I would also call the fed gov work place relations office to get a definate answer

DOB the bastards in. And make full use of the union.

Extra hours are also a part of life in education/child care.

Lots of extra hours, not a cent in extra cash.

Still good holidays though. :)

Looks like change is on the horizon there too.... :(

Whilst not a union fan myself (too many bad stories of employees being promiced the world only to be let down but the union trying to get a better deal) I think this is a perfect example of the times unions are needed!

Other than that what about Fair Work Ombudsman. Might be a better option if the workplace isnt very union freindly?

Having said that Kevo is right there are a lot of expectations for extra hours / work unpaid by the industry

Edit:
My sister is a early childhood / primary teacher. Bugger that for a joke I wouldnt get out of bed for that kind of money - and im not exactly living the life of a millionaire myself. Concidering all the responsibilities / duty of care, hours, expectations etc. It would have to be one the most poorly paid professions out there. 4 years of uni and $40,000 for a full fee paying student (Or $10k for those subsidied by HECS) later and you get SFA. Someones making the bucks though - cause getting you kid into child care isnt cheap!

Massive $$ in child care in terms of money through the door.

I imagine insurance etc is pretty hefty though.

You have to consider though, you want the best trained people looking after your kids. Other people want/expect that too.

At the end of the day though, teaching is an awesome job, great fun. It's not the $$ I work for to be honest. Not great dollars, but I wouldn't do anything else.

Except maybe work in a brewery...

IEU Independent Education Union as well, Workplace Ombudsman would be a start.

depending on state govt structure chil,d care would sit under early childhood. which would be either education or Dept Human Services. Either way its an education union type thing. LHMU are generally happy to go into bat for anyone though (providing you dont fall under a union)

Being of an age that I have lived through several recessions, I can tell you that a common theme during recession and times of unemployment is to use "management through fear" and to run a party line that you are lucky to have a job and if you don't like it there are many people out there who will climb over your sad cold corpse to grab your job.

However at the moment with a historically low unemployment situation (under 6%) and the economy turning around, the tables will probably be soon turned on employer companies and we may return to a labour shortage. Your GF is in a field that will always offer employment opportunities and with the 'bump' in population coming through the pipeline due to the baby bonus she should, shortly, be able to dictate her own terms.

Then she will be able to tell the bastards to go to buggery. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for all the info guys. Will chat to her about it tomorrow.
To add to it all, she was told today that she is expected to be at work 15 minutes before her shift starts and that she should stay 15 minutes after also. What a crock. Makes me so angry. But none of the staff there seem to want to do anything about it. Am so glad we are moving soon. Will be happy to never hear about this place again.

My job is so frickin unbelievable. I'll try to sum it up by telling you about the losers I work with:

First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers.

But the jewel of the crown has got to be the frickin stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big frickin dog to work. Every frickin day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to Maccas, every single frickin day.

Anyway, I drive these 'tards around in my van and we solve mysteries and shit.

My job is so frickin unbelievable. I'll try to sum it up by telling you about the losers I work with:

First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers.

But the jewel of the crown has got to be the frickin stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big frickin dog to work. Every frickin day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to Maccas, every single frickin day.

I was wondering how long this would take.

Not as some sort of commentary on what is "killing" the board - I just wanted my opportunity to bitch.

Got fucked out of 1.5 years super.

Got fucked out of taking my long service when I wanted to (but a co-worker (who has been there less time than me had his approved one ******* week later). And I was taking the time off I wanted regardless - his was weeks after Xmas holidays.

They don't send me my payslips (head office in QLD) so I didn't realise they've been underpaying me $30 per day all financial year (makes me look like a retard but the following is a mitigating circumstance).

Recently was changed to casual on a very high rate but there has been **** ALL work since.

The company has changed focus from looking for work in greater Melbourne to national work and they're trying to send me to these jobs (and deciding all of a sudden to name me as forman) without consultation.

Took my company car from me to give to labourers from another state (due to moronic, scatter-shot job tendering schedule).

Can't quit as I have all the tickets that allow them to get work in Victoria and if I go my dad will be out of work (at 58 (or some shit)).

I just realised that I shouldn't scan posts and drink free-pour bourbons at the same time.

Good lols, QB.

My God Quantumbrewer where the heck do you work?

I work in an inbound telecommunications centre for a major telco and we have an incredible range of staff including little old ladies with walking sticks. My favourite workmates are a couple of fat lesbians who have an incredible dry sense of humour and whenever we are in the lunch room we spend our time cracking each other up. We can be totally ourselves with each other because I'm not wasting my time trying to impress them with the size of my cojones and I can talk shopping with the best of them. One of the most excellent things I have found is that when a guy talks to a lesbian there's usually nothing behind their eyes, and as a result their eyes look piggy. However with my lesbian buddies when they see me their eyes (and mine I suppose) are friends eyes and smiling. Something I had never thought possible. And you know what, if my thoughts ever stray to whatever is between their legs I feel really dirty ... eeeewwww - nasty nasty nasty.... maybe at my age I'm finally growing up and becoming a new age guy :p

However dogs in the workplace? WTF????

Scooby dooby do! ;)

You had me laughing out loud with the last line. :lol:

Back