Doc's Infinity + 2 Quad Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
A few of the older members probably remember a beer I made a few years back that I called Infinity + 1.
For the newer members it was basically a Triple IPA with a hop blend of 11 different varieties totally 1.2 kg for a 23 litre batch.
That was a BIG beer.

With the new brauhaus well and truely broken in it was time to do an empty out of the old hop stock.

Last night I made Infinity +2.
I was aiming for an OG of 1.122 but slightly undershot in the boil as I just couldn't get a strong enough boil stabalised without boiling over. I hit 1.104 which is high enough anyway.

The difference this time was I also made a few more litres and hopped the Sparge water.
Waiting for the Pacman yeast to multiply on the stir plate right now before pitching.

The brauhaus smells like a hop garden exploded in it (and that is after cleaning up). The smell last night was just awesome.

The pics from the brew session are all up on Yfrog starting with the grist here.

The link to the photostream is here

And yes I did say Sparge Hops

All up 3.5kg of hops for what is looking like 32L of final wort.
Haven't decided on the dry hopping schedule yet ;P

And before anyone asks or states the obvious, yes 100IBU is the limit independent of what the calcs may indicate (580+ IBUs).
Yes I found the limit of fluid dynamics with respect to gravity and viscosity :p

Beers,
Doc

PS: It may make an appearance at Local Taphouse Brewshare in Feb

That is just nuts. The boil video looks like a hop volcano!

That is just nuts. The boil video looks like a hop volcano!
I concur with Keifer, I think you brewed this to remind yourself some of the volcanic activity of your mother country :lol:
And I thought I was geting adventurous with 450g of Galaxy in a 20l batch :blink:

I thought I smelled hops....

Looks very interesting Doc. Could you post the recipe and your hop schedule?

Just went over the notes again. Actually the 3.5kg was with all the packaging. Actual amount of hops was 2.555Kg.

The downside of sparge hops however is the cleanup

h1g0.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Doc, what do use as a hop screen in your kettle? And what sort of chiller do you use? Do you experience any run off problems from the kettle with that many hops?

And before anyone asks or states the obvious, yes 100IBU is the limit independent of what the calcs may indicate (580+ IBUs).

So are you saying that you can only get to 100 IBU? Then why all the extra hops?

Either way, that's a crazy beer. I'll have to make it to the Taphouse for a taste.

lol @ the boil vid

those nespresso machines are great :p

So are you saying that you can only get to 100 IBU? Then why all the extra hops?

It was a bit of a hop freezer cleanout, and also to find the limit of fluid dynamics. I found it.

Also a chance to challenge some palettes with lupulin extremes :p

Doc

It was a bit of a hop freezer cleanout, and also to find the limit of fluid dynamics. I found it.

Also a chance to challenge some palettes with lupulin extremes :p

Doc

Jesus, Doc. Truly astounding.

What a fun way to spend an afternoon! Most impressive.

Keep on rockin' Keep on sharin'

reVox

lol thats nuts. makes my 80g per brew of hops look dismal. But need to try a hoppy beer now I have like 1.5kg of hops no where near yours and cant justify using all them in one brew but will aim very much below your brew but still high for my standard.

Either way, that's a crazy beer. I'll have to make it to the Taphouse for a taste.

The idea is that over 100 IBU is beyond what can be perceived in terms of bitterness. Therefore 130 IBU wouldn't really taste any more bitter than 100 IBU and so on. This is talking about bitterness so there is still flavour to be had by the extra hops. That's not to say that there isn't a point where the tongue can only decipher so much flavour.

As Doc said, he was just clearing out and decided to have a play. There is no doubt the beer will be something else. I wonder what Doc's estimate is regarding when the beer will be at it's peak.

your a hell man Doc!!! thats some crazy shit!! loved the vid of the boil, how clear was the wort you actually got into the fermenter?

With the sedative effect of my hoppy beers on friends I reckon I'd knock them out cold with a stubby of that!

Back