Do You Dry Hop In The Keg ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have dry hopped about eight batches now in the keg and have had good flavour results but a bit unhappy with the occassional 'floaty' which does not really bother me but I like to present a floatie free beer

by the way the occassional tea leave size floatie actually sinks unless got caught in the head .

I have been using a SS mesh to hold my hops but feel I should probably go to a finer material , I was worried that a curtain mesh material may get sucked up the dip tube .

I wish to persue dry hopping in the keg as it is traditional of cask ales

My East Kent Golding plugs in my bitter were the better leaving very little residue

The Cascade plugs in my APA started off OK in one batch towards the end heavy floaties .

It pays to keep it carbed well otherwise less carb seems to allow the floaties to wander .

what do you use to contain all hop plugs when dry hopping in the keg ???

Pumpy :)

I have done a couple of times mate, with EKG in English Bitter. Even though my EB's leave a little bit to be desired the dry hopping in a tea ball seemed to be good. The problem is I could only fit one plug in a tea ball and I doubt you get the full benefits. I would like to make one of Docs massive keg dry hopper out of Termi-mesh and put a couple of plugs in. But I have not really made good bitters so for now I will stick with my Lagers.

Steve

As mentioned in a few threads containing the same information, I have always dry hopped in kegs using a stocking.

Unused of course.

Tie a piece of dental floss around the stocking so it is the only thread protruding from the keg. Gas as normal, and let sit for however long one determines.

Hey Steve this works well for me

Jye good idea with the gravel will keep the stocking down

Chiswick
English Special or Best Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 19/07/2008
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Brewer: PUMPY

Boil Size: 50.78 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment 40
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.45 kg BB Pale Malt (4.0 EBC) Grain 90.85 %
0.65 kg Weyermann Caramunich I (100.5 EBC) Grain 9.15 %
27.10 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
40.00 gm Target [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
14.00 gm Northdown [8.10 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
11.50 gm Challenger [6.60 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU

Dry hop in the keg one plug

1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
21.13 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.04 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 30.1 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 13.9 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 7.10 kg
Sparge Water: 30.00 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.52 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.37 L of water at 91.5 C 75.6 C

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Dry hop one EKG plug in the keg

You need one of these...

full.jpg

full2.jpg

Ohhhhh Dr K is that from a Fish tank ?

Thats Finer than mine

Pumpy

Got em FREE with the latest series of Futurama...arrived tonight.

K

Got em FREE with the latest series of Futurama...arrived tonight.

K

That's random! Perhaps part of a Bender costume...?

I've had better results using pellets in tea balls than plugs, but I'm pretty sure that's just because the plugs don't have enough room to expand and be exposed to the beer. SWMBO doesn't have any stockings worthy of keg use, so it looks like I'm off to the hosiery section of Myer tomorrow... :rolleyes:

PS. T2 (as in Tea Two, the tea shop) has a selection of larger tea balls, but again, you might run into chunky green bits with their holes allowing for the passing of the odd green nugget.

I think K is taking the piss.

The two items pictured are plumbing fittings. The meshed part is for putting onto the top of a ventilation tube to stop crap getting in.

Sam

I haven't dry hopped in the keg for quite some time, but I used to boil the foot from an unused pair of pantyhose and I'd put the hops in that. Just tie a knot in it and throw it in. Almost forgot the marbles to weigh it all down. Works really well.

Thanks Pumpy, I was looking for a tried and tested English Bitter recipe. I will give that one a crack with the dry hopping too. Can't wait.

Steve

I used to use my tea ball until it carked it (hinge dissolved). I now use a stocking tied with a bit of string. The first few glasses are sensational :D
Cheers
Steve

Ask your local aquarium for "filter medium bags" they use them to hold charcoal for tank filters.

They're great for dry hopping. Even come with a drawstring.

Warren -

Ask your local aquarium for "filter medium bags" they use them to hold charcoal for tank filters.

They're great for dry hopping. Even come with a drawstring.

Warren -

You are a bloody ledgend Warren

You are a bloody ledgend Warren

:D Stretching a point a bit I think Pumpy.

Here's a link which may explain them better. They come in various micron ratings too. Which matters if you're using pellets as opposed to whole hops.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back