Do You Dry Hop In The Keg ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent Just what I wanted to the Fish shop tonight .

The knowlege on this site is unbelievable (especially when you add it to mine) ;)

no more floaties

Cheers Warren

Pumpy :)

Personally I've only used them for plugs and flowers Pete (800 micron). They do offer a 250 micron jobbie so I'd say you'd be fine for pellets.

Warren -

Thanks for that mate. I was just curious as at the moment I dry hop to keg using a home-made bag sewn up from the curtain material that Rossco used prior to the introduction of the hop sock. And (Never start a sentence with "and" :lol: ) this works quite well with pellets.
I will take a look at the 250 micron jobby. :icon_cheers:

TP :beer:

I found some SwimSafe Filtersavers in nylon for a pool Basket in Big W in the pool section , they are like white short stocking bags will have to tie up with Dental Foss like Duff suggested no not the Minty floss .going to give them a go.

$6 for five socks !!

My Double Cascade plug dry hopped APA in the Keg is a really nice give plenty of body

With'Dry Hopping in the kegs' I find I get a lot of foam on the beer ,I thought it may be to do with overcarbonation but think it may be to do with the hops ,as beer head retention additives are made from hops.

I found some SwimSafe Filtersavers in nylon for a pool Basket in Big W in the pool section , they are like white short stocking bags will have to tie up with Dental Foss like Duff suggested no not the Minty floss .going to give them a go.

$6 for five socks !!

My Double Cascade plug dry hopped APA in the Keg is a really nice give plenty of body

With'Dry Hopping in the kegs' I find I get a lot of foam on the beer ,I thought it may be to do with overcarbonation but think it may be to do with the hops ,as beer head retention additives are made from hops.

Used same pool socks in a fermenter (pellets) as previous time I added they broke up and didn't settle. Seemed to be okay for the job - certainly saw nothing to suggest won't work in a keg. Interesting point about the foam - makes sense but can't say I've noticed (though most of my kegged beer start overcarbed)

Hi Guys,

I use Swiss voile aka BIAB material tied up with kitchen twine about 20cm x 20cm is heaps. I reckon this works out to about 20c a bag.
I have also just thrown pellets in the keg, left for a week or two depending on how it well the taste and aroma have developed then push through a filter into a clean keg. This works better IMO as you get better usage out of the hops.

Use low pressure and push beer in through the out post creating less foam.

Mick

Edit - Fixed a typo

I used to use my tea ball until it carked it (hinge dissolved). I now use a stocking tied with a bit of string. The first few glasses are sensational :D
Cheers
Steve
I thought I was an orphan! Mine dissolved too.

I have dry hopped about eight batches now in the keg and have had good flavour results but a bit unhappy with the occassional 'floaty' which does not really bother me but I like to present a floatie free beer

by the way the occassional tea leave size floatie actually sinks unless got caught in the head .

I have been using a SS mesh to hold my hops but feel I should probably go to a finer material , I was worried that a curtain mesh material may get sucked up the dip tube .

I wish to persue dry hopping in the keg as it is traditional of cask ales

My East Kent Golding plugs in my bitter were the better leaving very little residue

The Cascade plugs in my APA started off OK in one batch towards the end heavy floaties .

It pays to keep it carbed well otherwise less carb seems to allow the floaties to wander .

what do you use to contain all hop plugs when dry hopping in the keg ???

Pumpy and everybody,

There is a very informative dry hopping podcast by the brew strong boys on the brewing net. which just became available. Lots of helpful tips, especially in regards to giving your fermenter a blow :huh: .

I am coming to the conclusion following about eight batches dry hopped with plugs some one plug some two that the effect of the dry hopping only really lasts for about three days .

I dont know if I an not shaking the keg to mix up the hop juice with the beer .

However considering a dry hopped cask in a pub may only last a couple of days if that .

Am I right or wrong with this theory

Pumpy :unsure:

However considering a dry hopped cask in a pub may only last a couple of days if that .

Am I right or wrong with this theory

Pumpy :unsure:
i think the beer itself starts going "stale" after a few days in a cask anyway. as for keg dry hopping, i would have expected it to last two to three weeks, so to hear you say three days is a bit of a surprise. i only tried it once so my experience is very limited. might try it again with more aromatic hops in the future.
joe

i think the beer itself starts going "stale" after a few days in a cask anyway. as for keg dry hopping, i would have expected it to last two to three weeks, so to hear you say three days is a bit of a surprise. i only tried it once so my experience is very limited. might try it again with more aromatic hops in the future.
joe

JC I do think that in a pub they will sell a cask of beer a night

my dry hopped kegged beer is Ok but for the first three days it hs noticable body and flavour then its nice but different

pumpy :)

Really? Not that I am saying this isnt true, I just didnt know this was true.

Anyone care to elaborate or comment if they get more foam when dry hopping?

(another thing to put on the todo list for the next brews....when I finally get to AG there will be a lifelong list of 'things' to try)

rendo

hey folks,

When dry hopping in the keg is it common practice to leave the hops in the keg for the entire time until it is empty, or are the hops pulled out after a certain time?

cheers

hey folks,

When dry hopping in the keg is it common practice to leave the hops in the keg for the entire time until it is empty, or are the hops pulled out after a certain time?

cheers

Some people pull them out after a week, I never bother. Then again I've never had a dry hopped beer last more than a month in the keg.

As I've posted a few times if you can get one of these - but a 3 inch size - it's perfect for holding one plug. I use it for Styrians in TTL style ales. And yes I just leave it in there until finished which is usually less than a fortnight.

Mesh_Tea_Ball.jpg

I dry hop in my kegs, especially for IPA's and APA's.

I use these...
RIMG1528.JPG RIMG1525.JPG
RIMG1530.JPG RIMG1533.JPG

Their called "T2 in the Bag". They are a disposable tea bag made of a food grade fine mesh. Because they are design to be used for tea, the mesh is fine enough not to let disolved hop pellets get through and you can use them in the boil as well as dry hopping.

Basically you open the top of the bag, fill with hops (I've managed to get up to 80g of pellets in one bag) and then the top flap folds over itself to seal. There is a risk that the bag may leak if you pack too much into it, so you just split the hops into to bags.

When you put the bags into the keg at the beginning, the bags will float until the hops have become saturated and the bag settles to the bottom next to the dip tube. There is nothing better than pouring a glass of IPA that has been sucked through the hop bag sitting next to the dip tube. :icon_drool2:

They cost $7.50 for a packet of 25. They are usually located at the front counter at the T2 shops. I pick up a packet whenever I see a T2 shop.

Back