Do You Boil Your Water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you boil and then cool water before adding it to the fermenter?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I boil because I'm using tank water also.
I was trying to find an ultra violet light treatment solution to save the time and cost of boiling the water then waiting for it to cool.

I wondered if anyone here has any tips on an affordable unit?

My water comes off the roof. The roof has lichen growing on it and frogs sometimes die in the tank so whilst the bacteria in the water is probably good for strengthening my immune system i don't really want the nasties breeding up in my brew. So i always boil, cool and use.
Last week when siphoning water from my big pot the joiner snapped spraying boiling water all over my face, wasn't fun. Since then i've been investigating an alternate steriliser. I've been thinking hydrogen peroxide. It breaks down into water and oxygen so it would kill all the bugs and then oxygenate the water, ready for use. Would be pretty easdy to use too. Fill up water drum with water, add h2o2, let sit for a day to kill bugs, put in sealed drum in sunlight to breakdown the h2o2, hey pesto sterile(ish) water! Haven't found a source of peroxide that i would feel comfortable using yet though.

Nope ... and i'm using tankwater.

Likewise.

Tank water has it's negatives too though unfortunately.
After long dry spells dust settles on the roof, next rain = dusty/dirty water.
Mosquitos love to breed in tanks, have larva in mine with the water collected from the overflow just a week ago.
etc etc.

A lot to consider with ALL water IMO.

EDIT: In my research 40 millilitres of Sodium Hypochlorite (household bleach) OR Calcium Hypochlorite (pool chlorine) per 1,000 litres of water will kill most nasties. Leave for 24 hours before consuming.

Myself - I boil any water that is needed for brew day.

this might be a dumb question.
If using a Kit style.
Can you boil the water that you use for the fermenter and add some sort of flavour to the water?

Eg lemon rind or mango in one of those sock things .

Back