do you boil filtered water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I'm doing a kit for the first time in ages, and I want to keep it simple.

I'm going to use water filtered through two in line filters.

Just wondered what the consensus was about boiling or not boiling before use.

The filter may be a source of bacteria.

filtering for what reason?
Removing chlorine (charcoal filter) is a good idea, anything else (minerals) may be required for healthy yeast. Chlorine can be removed by a short boil, allowing the water to stand overnight or with the use of a campden tablet (potassium or sodium metabisulphite)
If you feel the filters may be a source of bacteria (why?), BOIL or, simply discard the filters and just boil.

I've never heard of people having a problem with unboiled top up water from kits, coopers have never mentioned a boil and whilst their instructions aren't what most people would call fantastic (eg fermentation temp) I think any filtered water should be fine, was back in my kit days

I'm pretty confident nobody here would boil water for kits after using a filter.

seeker, where is your water source coming from? And what filtration methods are you using? i.e. sediment / carbon / charcoal?

i've been told filtration can only remove so many bugs and regular filter changes are required to prevent build up of bacteria, so if you are suspicious you may have a problem maybe a reverse osmosis or an ultra violet unit in conjunction with your filtration system may be a better option?

Boiling 20 odd ltrs would be a pain for kits & would it drive out the oxygen required for yeast? or would you then aerate? complicated stuff the old H20…any chemists out there???

i've been lucky enough to get away with filtration only from clean rain water tanks, but i'm dreading the day when it's not adequate enough.

Latest posts

Back