Do We Have Double Standards With Craft Beer Brands vs Other Industries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chrisluki said:
No time travel for you my friend unless you get it up to 88!
Crank up that Flux Capacitor!
:)
Missed it by that much!

The answer is simple- I would do a shoey with a Nike but not if it involved VB.

There I think that has answered the question.

Dave70 said:
“if your brewer was a sneaker brand, what would it be”.[/size]

New Balance I guess. Boston based footwear manufacturer. Good shoes. Probably explains my APA bent.

Actually these days, Merrell is my footwear of choice for its utilitarian qualities. I drink only Coopers whilst wearing them.

I do however keep a fake beard, ironic / retro t shirt and a pair of canvas low tops close to hand when I'm out and about just in case a hankering for a IIPA overwhelms me.
Given the last paragraph of your post I think you and my Daughters boyfriend would get along fine,he wears boat shoes and shaves his legs. Oh for FFS.
Meeting him for the first time Saturday night in Adelaide, the brother inlaw and I are gunna wind the poor fucker up something shocking.
A good night it IS going to be !

I've crafted many things including food and beverage but I cant craft my own pair of sneakers or sunglasses.
I'm confused by this topic. :unsure:

spog said:
Given the last paragraph of your post I think you and my Daughters boyfriend would get along fine,he wears boat shoes and shaves his legs. Oh for FFS.
Meeting him for the first time Saturday night in Adelaide, the brother inlaw and I are gunna wind the poor fucker up something shocking.
I wear slacks in the cooler months, so leg grooming is unnecessary.
Not like say, your genitals, but legs? What a weirdo..

^might be a serious cyclist

I bash VB drinkers but the trigger for me was being bashed by a VB drinker calling craft beer poofter beer... so I need to get over it I spose and move on

Bribie you didn't take offence to the Sandals and Socks remark? thought that'd be up your alley

Socks and sandals are a match made in heaven. Although I draw the line at T shirts tucked into shorts.

Ed: just got home after a trip to the big smoke (Lismore) and bought a six of Molsons for later - love the smoothness, it doesn't demand anything from you - just chug it.

Yep, there's beers to enjoy, then there's drinkin' beers. Back in the States I used to get Red White and Blue, 3.2%, you could knock one back in two chugs, $8 a twelve pack. I actually miss it, although it's long gone to merger land.

Marketers have made Nike a Status symbol , and this works very well especially with women who buy most clothes.
Craft beer hasn't established itself as a status symbol as there beers such as Crown Lager, Corona and ........Premium" that people
think are. Also taste appeals to our basic senses where as Status or aspirational desire is a secondary sense.

spog said:
How did that go?
Why do young men shave their legs these days?

Danscraftbeer said:
I've crafted many things including food and beverage but I cant craft my own pair of sneakers or sunglasses.
I'm confused by this topic. :unsure:
Dont think about it too much...it's just a conversation starter!

Roosterboy said:
Marketers have made Nike a Status symbol , and this works very well especially with women who buy most clothes.
Craft beer hasn't established itself as a status symbol as there beers such as Crown Lager, Corona and ........Premium" that people
think are. Also taste appeals to our basic senses where as Status or aspirational desire is a secondary sense.
Like your thinking.

I still cant get over Crown as a status symbol, i jut hate that beer! I remember my wife once bought me one of those Xmas packs and i had to give her the s##t eating grin and strained "thank you honey".

chrisluki said:
How did that go?
Why do young men shave their legs these days?
The same reason they are wearing short shorts again. They are poor misguided souls who need direction from a more mature demographic. Failing that, just relentless teasing and niggle, they'll grow out of it.

spog said:
Sports shoes made in China.
Australian craft beer made in Australia.
Yes but using (quite probably) brewing equipment made in China .. including possibly the steel from china (the building is built with), and the broom that sweeps the floor.

The comparison with sports shoes is not that far off the mark. There is a lot of liberty going on with the 'Craft' badge nowadays.

Take organic food for example, at least they have to go through a thorough regime of soil testing etc. before they get accreditation to brand their product as such. With craft it's just a volume thing, but it doesn't stop the manufactures using anything but Australian except for maybe the water.

There are lots of good manufactured mass made beers that we can't get access to either. Lion and the big guys control what is sold where in terms of their brands and 'craft' style beers.

Take for example the running shoes I am currently wearing "Hoka One One's'

These were originally made by a small craft maker who saw the need for some extra cushioned running shoes. Founded in 2010 with great success the company was bought out by "Deckers" who are an international supplier (over 50 countries, many brands etc.). You can't buy these shoes in every shop, mostly by order only and / or at select stores only. I don't know where they are made now, but I'm betting it's not a little hand crafted store in the back shed .

Are these "Craft Shoes?" .. I don't think so. Probably when they first came out they were, now they are mainstream.

good4whatAlesU said:
Yes but using (quite probably) brewing equipment made in China .. including possibly the steel from china (the building is built with), and the broom that sweeps the floor.

The comparison with sports shoes is not that far off the mark. There is a lot of liberty going on with the 'Craft' badge nowadays.

Take organic food for example, at least they have to go through a thorough regime of soil testing etc. before they get accreditation to brand their product as such. With craft it's just a volume thing, but it doesn't stop the manufactures using anything but Australian except for maybe the water.

There are lots of good manufactured mass made beers that we can't get access to either. Lion and the big guys control what is sold where in terms of their brands and 'craft' style beers.
i thought all craft beer was organic anyway? No?

good4whatAlesU said:
Take for example the running shoes I am currently wearing "Hoka One One's'

These were originally made by a small craft maker who saw the need for some extra cushioned running shoes. Founded in 2010 with great success the company was bought out by "Deckers" who are an international supplier (over 50 countries, many brands etc.). You can't buy these shoes in every shop, mostly by order only and / or at select stores only. I don't know where they are made now, but I'm betting it's not a little hand crafted store in the back shed .

Are these "Craft Shoes?" .. I don't think so. Probably when they first came out they were, now they are mainstream.
I had to google those shoes!

Maybe not craft anymore...but they sure are ugly!!

:D

Fraser's BRB said:
The same reason they are wearing short shorts again. They are poor misguided souls who need direction from a more mature demographic. Failing that, just relentless teasing and niggle, they'll grow out of it.
I never stopped wearing shorts...

chrisluki said:
I had to google those shoes!

Maybe not craft anymore...but they sure are ugly!!

:D
Lol. Hokas are not made for their looks. Although, you do get a lot of strange looks wearing them.

Just like those hipsters paying $14 for a "craft" beer, made most likely using the finest of Chinese brewing equipment.

Having said that, I like my Hokas and with a torn ACL - they help me run with less pain.

good4whatAlesU said:
Having said that, I like my Hokas and with a torn ACL - they help me run with less pain.
Had you considered stopping running?

Latest posts

Back