Do tallies mature more slowly than stubbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jyo said:
I grew up knowing them as King Browns. Must be a W.A. term.
"Kingy's" is common in Melbourne Town, as are the plethra of names being applied for all other shapes and sizes (except long necks for 330-375ml...whats with that!).
W.A. probably has more people from Vicco than gropers these days any way!

Back on topic to some degree, I'd probably hang my hat on someones aforementioned logic.
Smaller bottles, higher ratio of headspace to beer (potentially more 02 to kick off yeast budding), higher rate of heat exchange, ie getting to a warmer temperature quicker for the day and therefore conditioning quicker.
I used to have issues early days with my bulk priming, wishing to avoid adding too much oxygen back to my beer prior to bottling I was getting uneven distribution of priming sugars. The beginning of batch would carb diffrerntly to the tail end. higher C02 also contributed to bittereness so in affect I had different carbonation, flavour and mouthfeel...just putting it out there.

Are you pouring them out or drinking from the bottle?

Only way to truly tell, would be to blind test somebody else that doesn't know about brewing practice - and take out all possible variables.

I should have called this thread do big bottles mature more slowly than little bottles lol

Hello . I bottle in everything from stubbies 330/375 ml. to "Darwin stubbies " 2.25 litre.
pint bottles 500ml bottles
This includes 750 ml "king browns" , crown seal . from the 70`s, 80`s, 90`s , hieght and wieght change over the decades.
750 ml screw cap , 800ml screw cap late ninties early 2000.
Cub , coopers , xxxx bottles
Recently i aquired 1.5 litre grolsch swing top bottles , 60 of .
In my experience they all work fine . I work on the wine industry principle , bigger the bottle larger volume , the longer the maturing .
I stick things like vanilla pods ,citrus peel or cinnamon sticks in the largest bottles for vintaging and they turn out a treat.
so in a nut shell stubbies are sample bottles .

I've read that theory a few times on this forum, where larger bottles supposedly mature quicker than smaller bottles.

I have strong doubts this is the case. I'd love to see some evidence to support that theory.

It's certainly not the prevailing logic in wine circles, where it is well established that half bottles mature quicker than bottles, which mature quicker than magnums, etc etc.
I don't blame you....

Hey so did you ever use 'tallie' in place of long neck for the 750ml bottles? I agree that I'd always call a 330/375ml a 'stubby' in conversation, but was certainly aware of them being called long necks...by the ad men and marketers...
I concur. In fact, I am drinking a 4 week old long neck of an APA which taste green as opposed to the 500 ml and 375 ml bottles I drank recently. Mental note to self; keep long necks in cupboard longer.

Latest posts

Back