Do I need to tune my Italian Spiral?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
i've created a brewrig and i don't feel i'm getting the same usability out of the flame.

It still boils the same amount but seems to take a little longer to ramp up to rolling boil.

The height of burner to pot has changed slightly, and i seem to get a lot more flame licking up the side of the pot.

I've noticed on full noise there seems to be a lot of the spirals jets seemingly not burning, ie there's flame coming out of them at low rate, but full rate they're empty.

Should i be trying to tune the flame with the sliding metal shroud on the neck that creates air/gas mixture?

should i be trying to drill out the jets and make sure they're all open?

what colour / size flame should i be aiming for at the base of the pot?

you want a nice blue flame and the kettle sitting just above the top of the flame

Definitely drill out the holes. Mine were chockers after a year or so. I had issues with sooting and I actually changed the height of my burner before realising the fault so need to change it back when I upgrade kettles. After cleaning I found I didn't need to open the air port anywhere near as much. I don't run mine at full pelt any more as I feel its less efficient than a controlled flame.

interesting...the collar on my italian spiral burner sits fully open to give me a nice blue flame. I find closing it leads to yellow sooty flames. My pot sits around 2 1/2 inches above the burner and I get from mash to boil in around 30 minutes (~32L). It also has no trouble keeping a rolling boil on a double batch. I get at least 6 batches to a 9kg bottle and thats usually with a 1 1/2 hour boil. Might not be the most powerful burner out there, but I reckon its bloody efficient runnning off a standard low pressure bbq reg.

I drilled mine out with 1/8 drill bit. Works fine. Some of the holes where quite a bit smaller than the others. 3mm would work ok as well

Cheers

Probably worth pulling the jet out when you do this too. Give the whole thing some gentle taps against a piece of wood and you'll be surprised at the flakes that come out. Come to think of it I'm going to do this to my F@#King BBQ right now.

Latest posts

Back