Do Germans Have Any Idea About Beers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwickel

Keg Drainer
Reaction score
There was a poll in a German forum (Not a beer related forum) with the topic: What beer do you prefer when youre in Australia

You Aussies wont believe it, here the result:

umfrage.jpg

VB, what else - 57 votes = 27%
XXXX, I dont drink anything else - 39 votes = 19%
TOOHEYSNEW, the sportive beer - 32 votes = 15%
Fosters, even if no Aussie drinks it - 10 votes = 5%
Sydney Lager, matches to the town - 3 votes =1%
Thirsty Dog, that matches to myself - 4 votes = 2%
Cascade, a beer like Tasmania - 10 votes = 5%
Piss, what please is the name? - 3 votes = 1%
EMU, doesnt matter what type - 9 votes = 4%
As Ive expected, my fav is missing - 41 votes = 20%

Altogether 208 votes

Im very much ashamed :ph34r:

Im very much ashamed
Don't worry, the Swedes are worse.
Every bloody Swedish Back packer ask for "vee bee" ven dey are here LOL

This is because the beer in Sweden taste like TT in a can, hang that is actually Swedes favorite beer.... :icon_vomit:

Haha, I still have a bottle of "Piss" in my bottle collection, un-opened, so I've no idea what it's like. It's over 6 years old so I don't think it'll be getting opened.

One of those links mentioned a taste 'similar to Carlton Cold', so maybe HB79, leaving unopened is the wise thing to do!!

Cheers SJ

Dont be too harsh.
When in foreign countries, it is often best to just drink what is on tap in front of you for $$ reasons as well as convenience.

It is highly unlikely that a German Tourist would be indignant and say "What? No Murrays?"

VB has displaced a few other brands in the past forty years because of aggressive marketing and other breweries just disappearing, Millers and Resches to name a couple. I guess it comes down to visitors from overseas trying our local beers because they taste different just as I would prefer European beers as a new taste experience. Many European beers have a common flavour thread which I have always put down to German brewing influence. This flavour can be found in beer from Greece, Italy, France, the Phillipines and much of Southeast Asia. It is not common in Australian beer and not even found in BUL European clones. Probably German brewers are in big demand around the world and are paid big bucks for their services. As for Fosters even the worst Homebrew couldn't stand up to this infamous slop.

:icon_cheers:

I'd imagine that 20% with no favourite on the list would be Coopers, right? I'd hope :ph34r:. It's the only well known Aussie beer that is both decent and not a bloody pale lager (although they have one...)

One of those links mentioned a taste 'similar to Carlton Cold', so maybe HB79, leaving unopened is the wise thing to do!!

Cheers SJ

Word. I think one of the first beers I tried to drink as a 14 or 15yo was piss or Geelong Bitter, no wonder I was put off for years!! Major booze crime that is given the resources to inflict their pain upon the world. There is no god!

:beerbang:

I guess if you walk into most pubs in our towns, suburbs and villages you're presented with the usual subjects (beer not inmates), however if you walk into a German pub - isn't the overall choice of a much higher quality?

Thankfully the poll wasn't undertaken with Norwegians (believe it or not there are tens of thousands of them in Australia, their government pays them to study here. No shyte, it's cheaper than building universities over there), QUT is full of them and bloody good drinking guys as well, I made a couple of good mates there, Anders and Are, however I digress:

Norwegian Tourist:

I can't find any Aass around here
I need some Aass urgently
Has anyone seen my Aass, it was sitting on the table five minutes ago...
God I love Aass
I wish I was sucking on a long cool Aass right now....

:blink:

Actually I should start a thread on it and hopefully Bum will reply.

I think we must also question the intellect of Belgians.

Belgian_Kimberley_Vlaemin_001.jpg

Is that the chick that reckons she fell asleep? While getting a tattoo on her face :huh: Apparently she only wanted one star. Must sleep quite easily, a one star tatt that small would take about 5 mins, if that.

Don't worry, the Swedes are worse.
Every bloody Swedish Back packer ask for "vee bee" ven dey are here LOL

This is because the beer in Sweden taste like TT in a can, hang that is actually Swedes favorite beer.... :icon_vomit:

Swedish beer is horrrrrible. That was one of the most disappointing things about going over there. Lucky for them though, other European beers (like Belgian varieties!) are quite easily accessable. Actually, the first thing I remember was paying about as much for a pint of "Falcon" in Sweden as I would have for a pint of Leffe Blond and the BBC here :p

my german buddies liken V.B beer to water. Trying bad beer is like driving through a ghetto; it makes you appreciate where your from(if you dont live in a ghetto).

Thankfully the poll wasn't undertaken with Norwegians (believe it or not there are tens of thousands of them in Australia, their government pays them to study here. No shyte, it's cheaper than building universities over there), QUT is full of them and bloody good drinking guys as well, I made a couple of good mates there, Anders and Are, however I digress:

Norwegian Tourist:

I can't find any Aass around here
I need some Aass urgently
Has anyone seen my Aass, it was sitting on the table five minutes ago...
God I love Aass
I wish I was sucking on a long cool Aass right now....

:blink:

Actually I should start a thread on it and hopefully Bum will reply.
:lol:

Hahahahaha

The best i've seen for along time.
I love a good Aass especially a Norwegian Aass :p

hmmm....I could understand that Scandinavians want to drink what ever they may grab, because beer in theire country is outrageous expensive.

but in Germany....beer is a basic food and one can get excellent beers for a little money only.... hmmm... must have something to do with misled taste ;)

....but I have to confess, if I had the choice when no homebrew is available, I would drink a XXXX, love it :icon_chickcheers:

but in Germany....beer is a basic food...

....but I have to confess, if I had the choice when no homebrew is available, I would drink a XXXX, love it :icon_chickcheers:

I have no idea what this thread is about but I can back Zwickel's comments up. The only time I met him we ate nothing. Beer was the only basic food for 9 or 10 hours - lol!

He also does appreciate a very clean lager. So do I. It is very hard to find one that really impresses though and even more of a PITA to brew over here.

Zwickell, did you say XXXX?

Go to bed :D

...... The only time I met him we ate nothing. Beer was the only basic food for 9 or 10 hours - lol!

hahaha...Pat, old mate, we say, 3 or 4 beers are equal to a little steak ;) and ahem....do I look like malnourished? :p

Zwickell, did you say XXXX?

Go to bed :D

Has anyone a recipe for XXXXbitter? Id like to brew it :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Latest posts

Back