Do Germans Have Any Idea About Beers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if you walk into most pubs in our towns, suburbs and villages you're presented with the usual subjects (beer not inmates), however if you walk into a German pub - isn't the overall choice of a much higher quality?
I had late lunch Here today. The Prater Schwarzbier was good. I finished up with one glass of the Weihenstephaner Hefe. Yes, the standard tap beer is better than tap beers in Australia.

The supermarket beers are better also. The four dead marines on this table are Weihenstaphaner Hefe, Schneider Weisse, Pilsner Urquell and Budvar.

I'm all out and have to go back for another 6 pack. Unless I can talk the missus into heading to a beer garden for a few hours.

Ah, the phenomenon of the 'holiday beer'. You know how Bintang tastes quite drinkable after a day trudging around Balinese villages. I spent several months in Brazil many years ago and drank large amounts of Antarctica and Brahma, piss-poor beverages by most standards, but transformed into nectar when consumed by the beach as throngs of improbably beautiful girls wearing nothing but strategically arranged strings saunter by.

When you are in another country you tend to want to try what the locals are having. I guess tourists visiting Aus see Wee Bee everywhere and say 'When in Rome'.

hahaha...Pat, old mate, we say, 3 or 4 beers are equal to a little steak ;) and ahem....do I look like malnourished? :p

Has anyone a recipe for XXXXbitter? Id like to brew it :icon_cheers:

Cheers

I would rather drink beer then eat! I have never tried XXXX but I will when I next get to QLD.

Zwinkle, BribieG will be able to help you with a recipe for XXXX. His also very wise when it comes to beer... but no snob!

Katie

:ph34r: Flame suit is on!

Actually agree with Zwickel's comments about XXXX. When you're overseas the beer actually holds up well compared to some.
I was in one part of the US which seemed to have nothing to drink but Coors, Budweiser, Fosters, or XXXX. There was not a craft beer in sight.

When you are forced into a decision where you either go thirsty or drink one, I chose XXXX after nearly tipping my some of those miserably watery yank beers. It actually had some semblance of flavour compared to the rest. Grew to love the cluster hop.

Hopper.

When you're overseas the beer actually holds up well compared to some.
I was in one part of the US which seemed to have nothing to drink but Coors, Budweiser, Fosters, or XXXX. There was not a craft beer in sight.

When you are forced into a decision where you either go thirsty or drink one, I chose XXXX after nearly tipping my some of those miserably watery yank beers.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the US and, as bad a rap as their swill gets, the only difference between here and there is that thiers is slightly more watery than ours and maybe slightly less bitter. Arguing for one over the other is not much different to refusing to eat McDonalds but going to Hungry Jack's instead. At least when in America you have the novelty of drinking new garbage rather than the familiar garbage.

thanks for that link josh will be in Berlin in a months time before the trip to Munich

howdy homebrewers,

after some considerations, I came to the conclusion: So many Germans cant be wrong. You Aussies have bloody good beers in your country, but you dont even know that :p :lol: :super:

Zwickel:

That's what we call "backpeddleing"....usually reserved for politicians. :lol:

most german pubs don't have heaps of high quality beers on tap...most of them only have one beer on tap - and it is usually not impressive. Bitburger and the likes. So no wonder they like our mega-swill - the masses from germany are used to drinking mega-swill, albeit with a different marketing ploy (purity law as apposed to our ice cold draft beer).

If you were expecting the pubs over there to have weihnstephaner beers on tap and other great german beers on tap - then you will be sadly mistaken.

hmmm...I wouldnt say that Im backpeddling, Id rather would say: eat shit, so many flies cant be wrong :p

Must also qualify my comments about XXXX.

If someone put a XXXX, a Weihanstephaner, a Shoefferhofer, a Warsteiner, a DAB, an Erdinger, and a Franziskaner on the bar, I'd be drinking anything other than the XXXX! :lol:

Maybe the stuff from further away always looks more appealing.

Hopper.

I dunno, Queensland seems pretty exotic to me and I'd rather not drink that pus.

Must also qualify my comments about XXXX.

If someone put a XXXX, a Weihanstephaner, a Shoefferhofer, a Warsteiner, a DAB, an Erdinger, and a Franziskaner on the bar, I'd be drinking anything other than the XXXX! :lol:

Maybe the stuff from further away always looks more appealing.

Hopper.
But it does have hop flavour! not like the rest of AU dumbed down mega swill .Most of those beers you mentioned are probly made here :lol:
GB

Yesterday I took the Mrs down to the pub for our weekly pokies feeding session (Zwickel: pokies = coin slot machine gambling devices with unpredictable outcomes, I recently won $240 but often lose $30 or $40 in a session) and because there are only five beers on tap at the Bribie pub I had a few schooners of XXXX heavy.

I was my first beers of the day and I tell you what, it wasn't too bad at all. I'm currently brewing beers for the State and hopefully, if I get through, the National comps and I did a sort of BJCP assessment of what I was drinking and it turned out fairly on target for and Australian Lager. No off flavours, clean and maybe a bit sweetish but I thought "if I could brew this exactly I wouldn't mind it" .

Now... interesting....

A few weeks ago while I was waiting for my kegerator to arrive the only bottled beer I had was dark ales, Old ales, milds and stouts. I was craving for a light lager so got a slab of Oettinger from the local BWS. I still had half a carton in the fridge and when I got home from the pokies I cracked an Oettinger. Rather than crapping all over the XXXX I had just drunk, in fact it struck me as being way more hoppy but a lot thinner and not so "rich" as the XXXX and on balance I reckon the little Aussie battler really stood up for itself.

Then I pulled a pint of my SuperLandlord :D bitter and ............... :super: :icon_cheers:

I'm probably going to get castrated for saying this but there is nothing wrong with VB. Its like training- a warm up to some heavier beers so to speak. Try warming up with VB then switching to Coopers Pale. Its a nice smooth transition (but be warned- don't go the other way!) :D

hmmm....the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :)

drinking XXXX is obligatory for me when Im in Queensland, thats a part of the australian (Queenslander) lifestyle, I wont miss....and what shall I say, in this moment, when the barbie is smokin on the verandah and Im holding a bottle of XXXX in the hand, it is the best beer in the world for me. :)

Amen

hmmm....the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :)

drinking XXXX is obligatory for me when Im in Queensland, thats a part of the australian (Queenslander) lifestyle, I wont miss....and what shall I say, in this moment, when the barbie is smokin on the verandah and Im holding a bottle of XXXX in the hand, it is the best beer in the world for me. :)

Amen

I've never been to Qld and hence never tasted XXXX. How would you describe it?

Back