Dms Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfeighan

Reaction score
ok, i have quite a few biab's under my belt now and they have all tasted pretty damn nice. i decided i would try make a wheat beer
Doc's Bavarian Weizen modified to 4.8kg of each weyermann pils & weyermann pale wheat for 43L

For the mashing regime i did 20 min protein rest @50c
then 90 mins at 67 (which dropped to 66 at the end)
mash out @ 77, drain and squeeze the shit out of the bag as usual

then pretty standard 90 min boil as usual, actually i boiled it a little harder than usual as i added too much water.
immersion cooled and then fermented at 20deg

Used Safwheat 06 yeast
OG 1052
FG 1012

just tried today out of the gravity reading tube thing and has a distinct flavor and slight aroma of corn which leads me to the assumption of DMS.

this is my first wheat beer, i dont want it to be my last :)
i thought 90 min boil should get rid of dms
do i need to modify any procedures when making wheat beer?
is it just a coincidence that i got this doing a wheat beer?

i really dont like the idea of wasting 40l of beer :(

Well other then the obvious and hope you did not use a lid when boiling, or the boil was wimpy. I would say you might be sensitive to DMS.

DMS can also be produced by yeast during the ferment so it could be that the beer is just not done yet.

If it is done you have a few options that may work for you. Blend it with a Weisen brewed with out the Pilsner Malt. Try scouring it out with CO2 just like people oxygenate wort but use CO2. Yes CO2 removes DMS but I have no figures handy as to how much.

Other then that I have no clue.

Let it finish up and age a little before you decide anything too much. The finished beer will be cleaner than the unfinished one for sure.

Your procedures all sound good - 90min boil and a rapid chill should be all thats required to sort DMS, certainly with a beer thats only 50% pilsner malt in the first place

It might also just be that your tastebuds aren't used to the combination of a small amount of dms and the wheat -- the flavours might be stacking up on top of each other and giving you a bigger than warranted experience ... a small reduction in the DMS levels may well result in a big reduction in your perception of the corn taste.

If its still unpleasant after finishing right out and getting a little age... I dunno what to do. Sorry. Katzke's suggestion sounds plausible. I have removed S02 from a cider by bubbling through C02... DMS is a volatile sulphur compound and I can see that it might work on that too. Beat pouring it out without trying anything!!

Let it finish completely and give it a few extra days on the yeast - if no good then....
Let it cold condition for a week or two - if no good then....
Try the C02 thing - if no good then....
Whack some carbonation into it, shove the kegs to the back of the fridge/keggerator/cupboard for a month or two and have another try - if no good then....
Learn to like a little DMS

Agree with what thirsty said etc, time is your friend and it will probably come good. I have had a few brews that have had the corn flavour and only in one pilsner it didn't drop down. Next time I would give a liquid yeast a go. For wheat beers you can't beat a liquid strain. I found the dry ones just didn't cut it. good luck

glad to hear all is not lost
so i will let it ferment another week and see what happens.
with the co2 bubbling how does it work? do i attach my ss air stone to my gas cylinder and stick it in the fermenter for a min or so or just force carbonate in keg

Latest posts

Back