DMS aftertaste - can it be conditioned out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettski

Reaction score
Hi all,
Cracked a beer I've been lagering in bottle for a week, throughout the whole process I've been picking up a weird aftertaste I now believe to be DMS. This would make sense because I was having trouble getting this to boil and had the lid on a lot and I'm sure run-off would of gone back into the wort. My question is; has anyone had success mellowing this aftertaste out with cold conditioning? I just want to get an idea if I'll need to dump this batch.

As far as I understand, normal conditioning won't remove it. A certain amount can be driven off through co2, which occurs through fermentation. If kegging, you might be able to pump co2 through it - that's hypothetical only and I've never tried it. Wait to be sure though before considering dumping.

Instead of dumping it try mixing with a stout - might cover up the DMS taste.

Its good weather for Black 'n Tans.

Feldon said:
Instead of dumping it try mixing with a stout - might cover up the DMS taste.

Its good weather for Black 'n Tans.
Never would of thought of that, cheers!

brettski said:
Hi all,
Cracked a beer I've been lagering in bottle for a week, throughout the whole process I've been picking up a weird aftertaste I now believe to be DMS. This would make sense because I was having trouble getting this to boil and had the lid on a lot and I'm sure run-off would of gone back into the wort. My question is; has anyone had success mellowing this aftertaste out with cold conditioning? I just want to get an idea if I'll need to dump this batch.
Out of curiosity what flavours/smells did you taste or notice,it may help others to understand what to be aware of.
Cheers...spog...

Latest posts

Back