DIY Dog - recipes for every brewdog beer ever made

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a1brit from reddit has converted them all to beerxml file so they can be imported into beersmith or your app/website of choice.

There is an all.xml with all 215 in for easy bulk import or individual recipes. They mostly stick to beerxml rules, and work well in brewtoad.com at least. The plain text version of the pdf pages are also in folder in there. You can see the shit show of bizarre formatting/typos etc. I had to deal with.
BeerSmith doesn't recognise dry hopping in .xml files. Even their own, so sorry the IBU will be way off initially. I defaulted to a 7 day dry hop, but it's an easy couple clicks go fix.
I tried to match up malts, and hops with some data I pulled from various sources. It may not be correct for specialty stuff. It'll just have found the closest word and used the values there.
All are done and available in here: Also included are the 2 python scripts I used. And in plain_text/ a .txt version of each recipe. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w82kw6i5bgaa1lr/AAA21F7ROuz7snkP8qq9L8bCa

Wow! What a great thing to do! Good on them!

I have been leaning towards re-entering home brewing the last few month. Even have my cart full on CBer, just haven't finished catching up on the home brew scene etc as much as I would have liked.

After seeing 5am Saint and Zeitgeist on there, I am going to get back in! :D

Amazing stuff by Brewdog. Can someone point me to a few of their best known beers as I need to find a starting point?!?!

Killer Brew said:
Amazing stuff by Brewdog. Can someone point me to a few of their best known beers as I need to find a starting point?!?!
Punk IPA is the obvious one. It's a belter of a beer. 5AM Saint and Dead Pony Club are two others that are very popular Brew Dog beers.

jibba02 said:
I'm thinking some of the hop schedules have typos!!! As some of the recipies have aditions of 2.5g, 3g etc. Like page 180? Maybe that should be 25g of ella not 2.5?
I think some of the everything has typos.

#58 Imperial Pilsner with a FG of 1027 ? Mmmm, chewy. I'd be upset if a big RIS finished that high !

#36 black dog - hoppy black what stout
58% pale malt
15.7% caramalt (is this just light crystal?)
8.8% wheat malt
7.8% crystal 150
5.3% chocolate malt
4.3% roasted barley

~22% crystal seems a wee bit much.
the recipe calls for 1.12kg of caramalt, if this were adjusted to 0.12kg then the % caramalt drops back to 2% +9% crystal 150.

Colour estimates seem a little out of whack too. Brewdog estimate 230 EBC. my beersmith is telling me 73. much of a muchness though, once its 75+ its pretty much not getting any blacker.

Question is, do you reckon the 1.12kg of caramalt should be 0.12?

Tahoose said:
Caramalt is definitely not crystal.
They are one in the same. Crystal is roasted for a longer period and or higher temperature

Caramalt is just crystal. Thomas Fawcett use it as a a name for a light 30ish ebc crystal, Simpsons seems to be the same and Bairds use the term it on their site interchangably with crystal malt. I've used TF and Simpsons, but only to the normal 5% ish mark in bitters. Maybe the roasted grains offset the sweetness from the caramalt?

Sarah Hughes dark ruby mild supposedly uses 25% or so crystal malt and that's a freaking awesome beer (my attempts to make it, not so much, but hope springs eternal).

Only one way to find out if the recipe is right or wrong...

welly2 said:
Punk IPA is the obvious one. It's a belter of a beer. 5AM Saint and Dead Pony Club are two others that are very popular Brew Dog beers.
Hoppy Christmas also listed best IPA to come from BD for a Simcoe IPA it is brilliant..

Tahoose said:
Caramalt is definitely not crystal.
Excuse my ignorance I thought is was completely different. Must be confused with something else,

I brewed #120 Electric India last week. First brew on my new (second hand Gen II) 50L Braumeister.

I'm away at work but it should be sitting finished in my brewbucket.

Can't wait to see how it turned out.

Brew Dog.png

The Guardian has published quite a long piece giving the back story to the Brew Dog brewers.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/24/the-aggressive-outrageous-infuriating-and-ingenious-rise-of-brewdog

Worth a read this long weekend, as much for the insight into the weird and wacky world of Brew Dog as it is to discover a good piece of feature writing on the history and possible destiny of the beer industry.

Just having a good look at this as I really want to brew #31 'Bashah'. Shows a mash time of 175 minutes at 65 degrees. Surely a typo? Could it be meant to be 75 Minutes?

alot of their other recipes are 75mins so thats what i would be running with....^^

Turns out they're releasing a new version of it:

A few weeks ago, we unveiled DIY Dog, whereby we made available the full, detailed recipes and back stories behind every BrewDog beer ever made, stretching from the first ever brew of Punk IPA, to the most recent addition to our range of Headliners, Jet Black Heart, and everything in between.

Today, DIY Dog is getting revamped as we launch
DIY Dog v2.0 releasing the recipes of all our 2016 brews - including every beer we are yet to launch!

Now you can drink our beer before we do!

Download is from the same place as the original

They've fixed up some issues in the previous version, such as the hop quantities in 10 Heads High.

I brewed up Hoppy Christmas on the weekend, had to do a fair bit of tweaking to get the right numbers at the end (during planning, in brewsmith). Colour was completely wrong, following their guide.

Looking forward to trying it when it is ready

Back