DIY Dog - recipes for every brewdog beer ever made

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBOB said:
whose up to try the 'Fake Fix Double IPA'
theoretical 198 IBU in a 3.5% ABV beer
That recipe has certainly caught my eye. I can't get enough hop. Shark Pants from De Struise / Three Floyds (at 300+ IBU) is up there for me as one of the best things I have ever had. This recipe seems to be right up my alley, loads of hop and low alcohol level to be able to guzzle it. Unfortunately, given the current schedule, it's going to be at least another 2-3 months before I can have a go at it.

I'd be very much interested in hearing how it goes for anyone else attempting this one...

I have just kegged a version based on #208 "Albino Squid Assasin" and it tastes pretty good.

Mind you I really only stuck to the malt bill.
I change the hops to use what I had - so in instead of magnum, chinook and citra I used galaxy, simcoe and falconers flight.
For yeast I grabbed what I could that suited at my lhbs so instead of Wyeast 1056 I used Mangrove Jack M44.

I like to think unless youve had the original an really really want a fair dinkum clone - you can still use these (and any other) recipes to create something "inspired by" or "based on" the original.

At the end of the day I made beer...good beer. With a bit of guidance for Brewdog.

If anyone was wondering if the hoppy black wheat stout has too much crystal malt in it, i sent Brewdog an email and they responded in a couple of days.
"I've double checked and the levels are correct. Those level of cara and crystal malt are needed to balance the bitterness." so the 1.12kg + 0.56kg of crystal isn't a miss print
Pretty good of them to respond to no doubt the vast number of emails they would have been getting.

Good of them too, in light of the fact that i was sending all their equity for dogs emails to my junk folder...

hope this helps someone if they are looking for an answer to this and don't want to risk 300g of hops and a brew day on a beer that could taste like cough syrup.

I found them really quick to answer a question I had on mash-out steps since there werent any in their recipes, less than a day later they said use whatever mash-out step I'm used to...so I'm going to try a few of their recipes as a base with a grainfather and just mash-out how the GF says to...

I've done the #215 Jet Black Heart and it turned out great. A sessionable black beer, not too sweet, nice amount of bitterness, and great roasty coffee aromas.

So I've formulated a version of 'The Physics' based on my system and what ingredients I anticipate the new Country Brewer store that's just opened near me will have in stock. I basically entered the ingredients as is, then adjusted so the stats lined up with what BrewDog had listed.

Title: Let's Get Physical
Author: Mosto (based on BrewDog 'The Physics')

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.032
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)
No Chill: 15 minute extended hop boil time

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.04%
IBU (tinseth): 48.12
SRM (morey): 32.4

FERMENTABLES:
4.2 kg - Joe White Traditional Ale Malt (84.8%)
0.25 kg - German - CaraAroma (5.1%)
0.5 kg - German - Carafa I (10.1%)

HOPS:
15 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.05
10 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.89
10 g - Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 3.32
25 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 15.86

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 60 min, Sacc rest
2) Temperature, Temp: 78 C, Time: 10 min, Mash out

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 19 C
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

No Bramling Cross on the CB website, so I've subbed it with Goldings. Also, gone with CaraAfa I instead of Dark Crystal 350 and CaraAroma in place of Crystal 120. Finally, I have some harvested US05 in the keg fridge, which I understand is the same strain as 1056. Hopefully get ingredients on Sat morning and brew Sat night.

*edit: 10 min addition will be flameout, as I wait 10 min for everything to settle down after flameout, and 0 min additions are cube hops.

mosto said:
. Also, gone with CaraAfa I instead of Dark Crystal 350 and CaraAroma in place of Crystal 120.

Carafa is a roasted grain and will produce very different flavours to a crystal malt at 10%, even a dark crystal IMO. Using a roasted grain at 10% in an american amber is way out of style again IMO.

timmi9191 said:
Carafa is a roasted grain and will produce very different flavours to a crystal malt at 10%, even a dark crystal IMO. Using a roasted grain at 10% in an american amber is way out of style again IMO.
I am worried about using that much CaraAfa, but couldn't find any Crystal that dark. Not to worried about ticking all the style boxes. I entered the style as American Amber as that was as good a fit I could find for this beer, even though the BrewDog stats don't fit an American Amber.

just checked the CB site, have a look at the caramunich 1,2 & 3, Im a big fan and like using them in combination as each level of toasting produces different flavor profiles. I also see that CB has special B, which is a very dark crystal used alot in Belgium beers and produces some dark plum flavours. Use a combination of special B and the caramunichs to hit your color and flavour targets would be the go IMO

timmi9191 said:
just checked the CB site, have a look at the caramunich 1,2 & 3, Im a big fan and like using them in combination as each level of toasting produces different flavor profiles. I also see that CB has special B, which is a very dark crystal used alot in Belgium beers and produces some dark plum flavours. Use a combination of special B and the caramunichs to hit your color and flavour targets would be the go IMO
Thanks mate, much appreciated!

I've just tapped the Electric India. Best beer ive brewed to date..

Ferg said:
sounds good from the recipe - any probs getting the yeast? I see its got wheat in it, did you use rice hulls?

Ferg said:
Nice, I might add that to the todo list. So far I've done Hunter Foundation Pale Ale, Libertine Black Ale and currently fermenting the Brixton Porter. The pale ale is not that great, but still good, but the black IPA is delicious, dry hopped at 12.5g/L.

EDIT: Oh yeah I also brewed 10 Heads High.

A.B. said:
sounds good from the recipe - any probs getting the yeast? I see its got wheat in it, did you use rice hulls?
No problems with the yeast, I used WLP590 which I picked up from clever brewing. No rice hulls & I hit my numbers so no issues I guess.
Planning on doing the 5am Saint next. Only problem with Brewdog recipes are they cost a fortune in hops!

Oh and I used Red Gum Honey from Coles - I figured it was the closest to the floral heather honey without spending a fortune on manuka.

Ferg said:
No problems with the yeast, I used WLP590 which I picked up from clever brewing. No rice hulls & I hit my numbers so no issues I guess.
Planning on doing the 5am Saint next. Only problem with Brewdog recipes are they cost a fortune in hops!

Oh and I used Red Gum Honey from Coles - I figured it was the closest to the floral heather honey without spending a fortune on manuka.
cool, thanks for info, I too was thinking about manuka honey...

Novice BIAB brewer here, I've noticed Extra Pale Malt features heavily in BD's recipes. What would be the equivalent that's easily available in Australia?

colvs said:
Novice BIAB brewer here, I've noticed Extra Pale Malt features heavily in BD's recipes. What would be the equivalent that's easily available in Australia?
Mate, without looking up any one particular malt available here in Oz, I would just go with whichever pale malt is available you. What do you have on hand?

razz said:
Mate, without looking up any one particular malt available here in Oz, I would just go with whichever pale malt is available you. What do you have on hand?
Cheers!

Haven't actually got any grain at the moment, was just looking to put in an order at my LHBS. Was thinking Simpsons Golden Promise or Maris Otter, or maybe Briess Two Row?

Back