Diy Computer-fan Stir-plate Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished mine. Pretty happy with it - a bit of fiddling around with the magnets, had 8 x 3 mm so only needed two and its going great guns. Thanks again for the DIY instructions.

IMG_0153.jpg

A few days later and a good dose of patience to get it working on the decidedly round-bottom 5L glass demijohn:
stirplatebuild11.jpg

(ps: Donations of 3, 4 an 5L Erlenmeyer flasks are most welcome).

Hey Wolfy,

I have the same 5L glass demijohn. What adjustments did you make in order for it to work with the concave bottom?
5L erlenmeyers are a bit expensive.

Cheers

Quick question, maybe it's already been asked but I can't see it in this thread, and it's been a while since I read the Tight Arse Stir Plate thread, so here goes...

I see lots of people using LED dimmers in these projects, 12V 0-8A. As most of the fans we're using are around 0.3A, doesn't that mean that the max draw by the fan is 0.3A? So how does a 0-8A dimmer work? I assume that it adjusts the amps between 0 when the dial is at minimum, and 8A when the dial is at max? So wouldn't the fan be at max speed after turning the dial just to the right a little?

Obviously I haven't used one myself, so I don't know. And I know nothing about electronics, that's probably obvious.

Quick question, maybe it's already been asked but I can't see it in this thread, and it's been a while since I read the Tight Arse Stir Plate thread, so here goes...

I see lots of people using LED dimmers in these projects, 12V 0-8A. As most of the fans we're using are around 0.3A, doesn't that mean that the max draw by the fan is 0.3A? So how does a 0-8A dimmer work? I assume that it adjusts the amps between 0 when the dial is at minimum, and 8A when the dial is at max? So wouldn't the fan be at max speed after turning the dial just to the right a little?

Obviously I haven't used one myself, so I don't know. And I know nothing about electronics, that's probably obvious.

0-8 amps? 8 amps is a LOT. Without knowing exactly what im talking about (in that i cant find an actual link to said LED dimmer specs), i'm still fairly confident in saying you've got something a bit wrong there. 10 amps is the max draw of most household wiring. An LED drawing 8amp would be like a personal sun?

These are the dimmers. They specify output power 96W, output current 8A. I assume that they are for a bunch of LED lights, not just a single light. Still, as you point out, LED lights draw bugger all, so I'm not sure how these work exactly...

I have the same 5L glass demijohn. What adjustments did you make in order for it to work with the concave bottom?
Lots of patience and trial-and-error.
Each of my demi-johns have a circular flat area (from how they are made I think) so it's just a matter of being super patient (and trying 100 times) to get the stir-bar balanced.

These are the dimmers. They specify output power 96W, output current 8A. I assume that they are for a bunch of LED lights, not just a single light. Still, as you point out, LED lights draw bugger all, so I'm not sure how these work exactly...

They are pretty cheap. About half way on the dial is the fastest I get get a stirrer to spin. And lower produces a slightly slower spin so you do have some control with it.

can anyone point me to a site that i can buy the exact rare earth magnets and a stir bar i need pls, i cant be assed to trawl through 50 pages. shanks.

equally i can't be arsed searching for you

Your in a helpful mood lately argon :lol:

Here you go fents http://www.rareearth.com.au/magnets

I don't mind helping... but when someone just states...
i cant be assed to trawl through 50 pages.
It's hard to be helpful to those that won't help themselves
:rolleyes:

As an example;

I had read through the thread and a quick search around the internets for some decent magnets. Anyone got any recommendations for somewhere i can get magnets that would be best to use.

Yeah sure here you go;

http://www.rareearth.com.au/magnets

Edit: ahhhh... nice link!!... just got it. :lol: :lol:

Argon, what does the word Diy mean in the title of this thread? I cant be arsed opening a new browser window.

thanks du99, rang SSL. only problem is i have no idea what size magnets or stir bar....guess i'll have a search hey argon?

I don't mind helping... but when someone just states...
It's hard to be helpful to those that won't help themselves
:rolleyes:

for your info i did the ahb google search, came up with this thread looked through and didnt see it

Fents it doesnt really matter. Theres no EXACT magnet type for the job. A mate of mine built one out of flat, crescent shaped broken bits of magnet from an old computer, and he gets a wicked vortex.

As Ted said, even if you get the cheapo thin mags you can glue a few together to get the job done (like I did)...

As for the stir bar, I use a 40mm egg shaped one, I've only used it up to 2L but it vortexes that no worries, I have heard that the bars the ring in the middle tend to be a bit noisy.

Latest posts

Back