DIY Brew Control Panels and House Insurance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just coming to the end of my build of my new brew controller and had an interesting conversion with a mate about connecting non electrical certified units in the house hold.

Boils down to, if you have a claim and they find you've got your DIY Control panel connected that's not tagged and tested they can void your insurance and not pay out.

Question : Has anyone looked up about this? Anyone find this to be true or full of crap? If you have checked it out what company and plan are you with?

I don't really wanna get any claims squashed due to this minor thing.

Cheers
Gavin.

The Insurance companies will do whatever it takes to refuse a claim. If you made something and used it that

A. Not madee to the relevant AS:3000:2000
B. Not done by a licenced person

Not only that it would be deemed unlawfull and if it caused injury or death you are going to be in a lot of trouble.

I do not like giving advice to say" is my thingo wired up and safe" There is no way on gods earth I ever would, simply because if you get dragged into court by someone who said " yeah but this bloke on AHB siad it was all good" You wont have a leg to stand on. And I sure as **** aint going to jail for that.

Good questions, and the same would apply to all the STC's,Fridgemates, Brewmates, Dixcells, etc with home made wiring.

IMAG0415.jpg

:lol: :lol: :ph34r:

dicko said:
Good questions, and the same would apply to all the STC's,Fridgemates, Brewmates, Dixcells, etc with home made wiring.

attachicon.gif
IMAG0415.jpg

HAHAHAHA, the two nails in the tape got me.

dicko said:
Good questions, and the same would apply to all the STC's,Fridgemates, Brewmates, Dixcells, etc

Sure does. Unless it is ready to plug n play with a sticker on the back showing power ratings, voltage, earthed or double insulated then its not going to help you in court.

If you have to wire it up.... Its prob not going to be legal.

Actually that pic would be legal as they are std plugs and sockets and there really is nothing to say how many appliances you can plug into power boards. The circuit breaker is what will protect the power circuit.

But...you cant legeslate against stupidity

TSMill said:
Brew in the shed, problem solved.
Surely AS3000 still applies to a shed though? I thought it applies to any hard wiring to the mains power? Then portable stuff should be tested and tagged?

You could probably say that all of the DIY stuff is in the shed if the house decides to have an electrical fire, which I'm assuming would be okay if all appliances inside the house were certified? (assuming that the shed doesn't burn down as well?)

EDIT: You gotta keep em separated..

Do you have to get house hold appliances tested? And isn't the test annually.
Also I am sure it is only for Work-safe Health and Safety for employers that they have to be tagged.

it wouldnt have to be tested and tagged, but would have to be built to standard.

The insurer would certainly investagte the cause of the fire... Could they work out that a DIY controller caused it? Depends how damaged it was I guess.

The best bet is to have an electrician to build/install it and then if there is an issue, its covered by the electricians liability insurance.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Surely AS3000 still applies to a shed though? I thought it applies to any hard wiring to the mains power? Then portable stuff should be tested and tagged?
Yes, but my shed won't burn down my house, and vice versa.

gava said:
Boils down to, if you have a claim and they find you've got your DIY Control panel connected that's not tagged and tested they can void your insurance and not pay out.

Question : Has anyone looked up about this? Anyone find this to be true or full of crap? If you have checked it out what company and plan are you with?

I don't really wanna get any claims squashed due to this minor thing.

Cheers
Gavin.

We all have a way around the legal and technical side of most things but can someone answer the OP's question?

wow that escalated quickly... Yeah thought I was going to have to ask my insurance company about it just thought someone else may have gone down this track already.

-gav

wide eyed and legless said:
Gava, to be on the safe side why not get an insurance salesman out to inspect it, he will tell you what the score is.
I am sorry WEAL...I cannot look at your avatar and take anything you say seriously.

Your local smiling insurance salesman may not know the answer to the OP question.

Its more of an assesor and loss adjusters job.

Back