Disconnecting carbed keg from the gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Just wanted to check something before I do it. I'm doing two kegs of beer for a grand final party next weekend. The first beer is kegged and carbed and good to go. The second has taken a little longer to finish fermenting than I had hoped and I probably wont keg in unit Tuesday... four days before the grand final.

I only have one regulator and I was thinking that since the first beer is ready I can just disconnect it and leave it at temperature in the fridge while I burst carb the second one. The first keg should be good to hold it's carbonation for a few days right?

If I let the second keg carbonate for 48 hours at 35 it should get pretty close to full carbed I'm thinking.

Cheers.

is the first keg cooled?
cool beer accepts co2 more readily.

Just wanted to check something before I do it. I'm doing two kegs of beer for a grand final party next weekend. The first beer is kegged and carbed and good to go. The second has taken a little longer to finish fermenting than I had hoped and I probably wont keg in unit Tuesday... four days before the grand final.

I only have one regulator and I was thinking that since the first beer is ready I can just disconnect it and leave it at temperature in the fridge while I burst carb the second one. The first keg should be good to hold it's carbonation for a few days right?

If I let the second keg carbonate for 48 hours at 35 it should get pretty close to full carbed I'm thinking.

Cheers.

Totally fine to do (I frequently do this).

Presuming no leaks, your carbonated keg should hold its gas (almost) indefinitely.

Your other option for rapid carbonation is to chill to second keg of beer down, then do the rocking method. Pretty simple, take a cold keg, turn the CO2 up to about 40 PSI and wait for it to pressurise then turn off the gas. Lie the keg on its side (with the gas post uppermost) the gently agitate the keg until the pressure falls on the regulator. Rinse and repeat (I normally do about 5-6 cycles until the pressure gauge falls to my desired level of carbonation). Test it for adequate carbonation levels, then let it sit at serving pressure so any sediment you've stirred up settles on the bottom.

JD

Latest posts

Back