Disassembling Plastic Fermenter Taps.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddywillwill

Reaction score
hi guys.
got gunk in my plastic fermenter taps.
does anyone know how to dismantle one without braking it?
also is there an easier way to have a tap that dismantles easy?

Willis

tun the tap half way between open and closed and pull the tap straight out with a pair of pliers.

theory only...i have not yet done it :)

Insert a wooden dowel in from the inside and tap the two parts apart

It's a bit brutal but if you place a flathead screwdriver or similar into the threaded opening and bang the butt of the tool against a hard surface (eg concrete floor/paving)you can push it out. It may be uncomfortable on your hand.

anyone REALLY bored enough to post a picture??? :) of the tap apart etc....

damm man, just buy a new one, lol...

casey

+1 - they're pretty cheap at Bunnings. If you do take one apart, make sure it doesn't leak under pressure when you put it back together. You may end up with a mess if it has a slow drip....

Ive done away with those Taps, get Snap Taps, a little dearer but much easier... ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

Ive done away with those Taps, get Snap Taps, a little dearer but much easier... ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

Ditto Clean Brewer - the snap taps are the bees knees. Someone did post a thread somewhere here on dismantling conventional taps which had lots of pics etc if you wish to search further

I do this every brew hold under running hot water for a minute use a towel for grip and pull

I (precariously) use the round end of a dinner knife handle and tap it out by banging it down onto my breadboard.

I pull them apart and soak in a caustic/sodium perc/surfactant mixture, which cleans the buggery out of them, but also strips all lubrication. I sanitise, then use olive oil to lubricate the inner shaft, as it seems that it might be beneficial to the yeast, and is definitely food grade. I then reassemble and wash any oil off the outside and sanitise complete assembly again. It is currently working for me.

Be sure to get the o ring off and clean behind it too, i have seen those things trap heaps of gunk.

Soak in Napisan overnight with hot water from the tap.
Rinse in hot flowing water.....Clean and sanitised!

Soak in Napisan overnight with hot water from the tap.
Rinse in hot flowing water.....Clean and sanitised!

That's what I do and I open/shut/open/shut...... them several times while submerged. I find this speeds things up a little. My taps appear to be clean, they are reasonably cheap so I'll probably replace them at relatively short intervals. I'de pull them apart but I reckon they would be scratched to bits inside if I did.

I just put the handle end of a wooden spoon in it and give it a knock... comes straight out

Latest posts

Back