Digital Television Revolution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Nothing like sitting back with a few coldies and watching a great TV show. Even better now that Digital High Definition television is here. Don't forget folks analogue is going to be switched off soon. What, you aren't digital yet? Without a digital high definition set top box or a Plasma / LCD tv with a built in hi def tuner you are currently unable to receive the new stunning, colourful amazing high definition programmes being rolled out by the networks.

For example you would be unable to watch this high definition presentation "The Cariboo Trail" currently screening on 7 HD in all its glory

hidef.jpg

Yes, the networks are pulling out all the plugs to bring you the latest in crisp hi def 1920 x 1080 widescreen shows.

Maybe I should have posted this in the jokes thread :p

Channel Ten's new HD Sports channel is ok though, mind you poker isnt really sport... is it?

Gotta love their efforts showing "digital quality" movies filmed in the 1920's (or similar era).

So you're both saying old movies look the same on VHS as they do on DVD?

Same difference.

Don't forget folks analogue is going to be switched off soon. What, you aren't digital yet? Without a digital high definition set top box or a Plasma / LCD tv with a built in hi def tuner you are currently unable to receive the new stunning, colourful amazing high definition programmes being rolled out by the networks.
Although the analogue signal will be turned off (eventually, they keep pushing that back) you won't necessarily need HD digital, just standard digital. This big 'freeview' push will still broadcast in digital standard definition.

Unless you actually have a HD (proper HD, at least 1080p) TV, you won't find an improvement by watching HD signals. I picked up a new digital receiver for $35. It can do HD, but I don't have a HD TV. That's fine with me - nothing on anyway.

The problem of 'nothing better in HD than SD' was put nicely by the .

Last edited by a moderator:
What's taking you all so long?

I've been watching digital television (SD and HD) for 4 years now. You need to get a digital signal to watch anything in proper widescreen.

My set top box feeds into the DVR, so I can record digital programs I want to keep. The DVR feeds into the TV itself. I can record a digital TV program at the same time as mrs warra watches her DVDs.
There's lots of crap on, but surprisingly there are some interesting shows on ABC2 and SBS. I can burn it directly onto a DVD in the DVR, or record it to the hard drive, edit it, and then burn it if it's something I want to keep. Otherwise, once we've watched it, just delete it, and free up some spave on the hard drive.

I've also piggy backed my VCR into the DVR, so I can burn any old tapes I want to keep onto a DVD instead. I've edited and combined lots of old home movie stuff into a single program and burned it onto a single disc.

Channel Ten's new HD Sports channel is ok though, mind you poker isnt really sport... is it?

Gotta love their efforts showing "digital quality" movies filmed in the 1920's (or similar era).

Poor people that only get SC Ten (Newcastle & some other regional areas) have to put up with the 'HD test pattern' until at least late this year because they haven't upgraded their network yet to handle the 'One' station feeds.

Hope the other stations get their act together

So much for the digital revolution :(

HD tv is just another way for peopole to further remove themselves from living in reality

I have a SD setup top box, I enjoy having the clearer picture and also ABC2.....

I really should tune it to pick up that new sports channel, but I that would involve effort..

Tasmanians just all need to split up - half go on the west coast, half on the east - pull out their oars and paddle the apple isle to the mainland.

;)

I've got a Panasonic TH50-PZ800A & PS3 (bluray) and couldnt be happier.
Well I could be but that would involve an IR2BT and some cat5e / hdmi extenders and an ir extender and a few other bits and pieces - but its getting there.

Personally I wouldnt rush out and buy a new TV - if your TV is fine then a sub $100 digital reciever is more than good enough. if your TV is on its way out then a newer plasma or LCD might be a good option.
But remember a 32" LCD is the equivilant of an 80cm CRT. BUT the LCD will appear SMALLER because of the aspect ratio.
For example at the moment we are looking at upgrading from our 55cm CRT in our bedroom to an LCD. To get hte same height aspect I will need a 27" (68cm) LCD.
But then the LCD will also sit about a foot and a half closer to the wall also ...

I think digital will be good - at the moment its a bit of a wank.

For example at the moment we are looking at upgrading from our 55cm CRT in our bedroom to an LCD.
My main TV (only TV) is a 55cm CRT that I'm fairly sure is more depth than width. Damn useless for watching widescreen movies too. Later in the year I'm planning on upgrading to a 50" HD plasma. I reckon I'll notice the difference :icon_drool2:

Go full HD (1080i/p) if you can stretch the budget. Panasonic, Pioneer and Samsung are my favorite brands. Though Pioneer has pulled out of the plasma market.
Definately look to wall mount too if possible.
Check http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...520&c=84140 for wall mount brackets (no affiliation just a satisfied customer)

Wall mounting our TV made it look HEAPS bigger. Like when we had it on the low line entertainment unit it was like "yeah its a 50inch TV" now its wall mounted its like "HOLY CRAP THAT IS A MASSIVE TV"

I suggest really thinking about how you want to set up your entertainment area. You dont NEED to have your foxtel box, surround reciever and bluray player under the TV. They can go in a cupboard beside or even behind you (or in my case they are going to be in another room eventually). Infrared extenders and long HDMI cables and universal remotes (logitech harmony remotes are the bomb!)
www.EZYHD.com.au is a good place to get HDMI cables cheaper than the store will add them in for ;) Buy you HDMI cables etc before you buy your TV (and bluray or upscaling DVD player) so you can connect it all up when you get home and you dont get roped into paying $89.95 for a 1.5mtr long HDMI cable thats no better than the cables available from EZYHD. Best thing about HDMI is it makes connecting a new media device like plugging in a USB device into a PC - its one cable and it works!

Sorry if im rambling - ive purchased 5 full hi def displays in the last 12 months (2 for mum and dad 1 for me one for my brother inlaw and one for my nanna) so ive picked up a few tips along the way and hope I can save you a bit of coin along the way.

HD tv is just another way for peopole to further remove themselves from living in reality
No need for HD with my CRT, my playstation 2 does that job perfectly. (plus there's SFA on telly)

sounds like some good advice Komodo...Im just starting to look into the whole digital thing..and am also on the lookout for anew laptop so will try and make sure everyting can talk to each other!

If you're buying both now definitely get a TV with HDMI in and a lappy with HDMI out. I recently got both and it is pretty ace - I can download a movie in half an hour and be watching it within seconds on my 40 LCD. Love it.

Back