Diff in flavour between "Flameout" hopping & "Dry Hopp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatbreaker

Reaction score
Ok so I'm wondering what the difference between flavour between "Flameout" hopper and "Dry Hopping"

For example I was to:

1) Bring a wort to a boil, then throw in some hops and boil for ~2 mins. After that then put the wort into a fermenter and cool it down to pitch

OR

2) Have a brew already fermenting for about 4-5 days then throw on some hops in a bag and leave them go for a week to 10 days

Does #1 give the beer more of a "hop flavour and aroma" whereas #2 only gives it a "Hop Aroma"?

They both give something different and it is difficult to summarise.

My interpretation:

Dry hopping releases some oils into solution (probably those most freely lost via heat) but not others, you also get some astringent properties, and I have got smokey phenolic style flavours with very large amounts. I often get melon and lychee kinds of aromatics from dry hopping.

In late-boil hopping I think more oils are released into solution with heat, and depending how fast you chill them, are also being lost (hop back being a good solution because it is next to heat exchange). You extract more fruit-like flavours and aromas like citrus and such.

As for your example, I would suggest you do each individually so that you know, and then a combo of both techniques. Then you "just know" what they do. Most commercial beers which are dry-hopped would also be late hopped in kettle.

ED:
Does #1 give the beer more of a "hop flavour and aroma" whereas #2 only gives it a "Hop Aroma"?
They both give flavour and aroma, just different. What is actually going on is actually pretty complicated because there are a lot of compounds doing things at the same time to provide your overall impression.

I thought that with hopping that late, the oils released are going to be minimal for flavouring. A BYO article said that as an exersize, take all the late hopping qty's and divide them into two. Take half the amount, at the end of boi,l chill to 80oC and add hops. Trying to maintain the temp. Take the other half and dry hop for the last 7 days of fermentation. This technique gave the most aroma during tests.

Interesting, so the difference could be more technical than that of taste?

I'm really asking because I recently re-read an IPA recipe I cooked up on Sunday and I thought that I was to dry hop the brew, where instead I was supposed to boil and throw hops in for a few mins for a late hop. I was really wondering if the taste I'll get from dry hopping will be too much off the mark of the intended flavour.

i think dry hopping imparts some vegetal/grassy notes. Definitely agree with descriptor astringent also. You might like it -- not the hardest experiment to run also, if you're making 50L batches.

I have never gotten a "vegetal" or "grassy" flavour from dry hopping. As long as you don't leave it for weeks at a time, and you try and keep the temperature down around 20ºC or so, it shouldn't be a problem. But then it depends on the hop, depends on the person tasting the beer, etc.

I can attest to the 80ºC hop stand for added aroma. This is how I handle all of my "flameout" additions now. I add the flameout hops, rapidly chill to 80ºC (only takes a minute), then leave the lid on for 20 - 30 minutes before I continue chilling to pitching temperature, stirring the hops around every 5 - 10 minutes to try and keep them in suspension. Maybe it's just psychological, but in my mind I just can't help but think of traditional flameout additions (that is chilling to pitching temp ASAP) as not getting the most from the hops.

slash22000 said:
I have never gotten a "vegetal" or "grassy" flavour from dry hopping. As long as you don't leave it for weeks at a time, and you try and keep the temperature down around 20ºC or so, it shouldn't be a problem. But then it depends on the hop, depends on the person tasting the beer, etc.
+1

i have no idea what other brewers are on about whenbthey complain about grassy notes, even a 7 day dry hop I just love it.

My flameout additions go in the whirlpool. That is i turn off the kettle, wait 10 mins for the convection currents to stop, then as i whirlpool in go the 0 min additions, pop the lid back on and wait another 10 - then rapidly chill. Seems to work for me.

Back