Did my homebrew shop rip me off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Coopers Wheat Beer + Wheat Dry Malt Mix 500 G (One that is made for wheat beers) = $33.00
just bank receipt....

Last time I was there Coopers IPA + Dry Malt mix 500 G + Glass cleaning (in a plastic container from bulk pack ) = $35.00 (Thought this was a lot but not sure of the price of cleaner)

Last time I looked in the window prices (when they were there) of kits where around 18.90 which is reasonable so malt around $14.00? For 500 G - that seems a KG price? Is that the right price - I would prefer to go to local shop but I dont want to pay more than if I bought online with postage...?

Just for those shop owners out there if you read - prices and receipts a good idea ....

Thanks

Where are you located Trusty? Others on here may know of alternate local options!

I think its probably correct, just very expensive.

I like to support my local homebrew store, but if it became that expensive I would have to look elsewhere.

KIts should be no more than $14-15 max. Malt no more that $10 per kg. Wheat malt is usually a bit pricier though.

But of course depends where you are. If you are in a remote small town then low turn over and transport costs will mean you pay more.

might have accidentally put the malt into the till twice. maybe give them a call and ask how much it would be for the same items..

Droopy Brew said:
KIts should be no more than $14-15 max.
The Thomas Cooper kits are the premium line and are more expensive.

I know. Standard kits at my local are 11-12, premiums about 14.

Droopy Brew said:
I know. Standard kits at my local are 11-12, premiums about 14.
Thats amazing, considering Coopers Club members direct from Coopers are $14.25

My local has both liquid and dried extract for around the $8-10/kg price (IIRC... has been a while since I've been in there for anything other than CO2), and they're normally quite pricey.

Sounds awfully suss being $28/kg, unless it was put through twice as suggested, but still reasonably expensive.

I think at my local homebrew store, 500grams of LDME is $8.90 and 1kg is $11.90.

panzerd18 said:
Thats amazing, considering Coopers Club members direct from Coopers are $14.25
You probably get additional freight charges to deliver to Neptune. .

I havent K&Kd for about a year so perhaps things have gone up a bit but certainly not $33 for a can and half a k of malt! Actually I just had a thought- I had been buying malt extracts for the year prior so yeah my pricing was probably a $1 or 2 out as kits cost a bit more.

Just question it next time you're in there. Probably a mistake, if not, ask them where their mask and gun is. Makes me realise how good and cheap BIAB is.

My lhbs also just tallies everything up and then tells you the total. The prices on his website are expensive, but he always seems to give a discount and throw in something. Very frustrating though, so I now drive to Barleyman for full bags and order online upto 25kgs and get it couriered for something like $11, which is cheaper than my tolls.

mate next time I head across that way I'll let you know, I'll drag an order over from Absolute. But yeah with fuel and time I some times just bite it and use the local though ATM most stuff I need is bulk anyway so...

If prices aren't displayed that is a first warning, parking outside the premises in a prestige or luxury vehicle also a 'no no', having said that the easiest punter to rip off is one turning up in an old banger.

MastersBrewery said:
mate next time I head across that way I'll let you know, I'll drag an order over from Absolute. But yeah with fuel and time I some times just bite it and use the local though ATM most stuff I need is bulk anyway so...
Thanks MastersBrewery, Very kind offer.

Thanks guys - got stung I reckon, I am outside a major city - nearest other store is 50 or 60 ks - new owner, perhaps he thinks people don't know what is going on...
I actually think home brewers probably read more websites than any other group of people... pretty disappointed - thought I would support local biz, I will contact them and let them know my feelings... cheers

Latest posts

Back