Did anyone see the new beer with shipwrecked yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There, there was an ABC doco about a year back of yeast harversted from bottle in from ship wreck off Tasmania, 220 years old.
I see there is a limited release coming out? They did not say they brewery but tap was James Squire?
I was wondering if they were ever going to use it? If it is James Squire and in bottle could it be harvested?
Some you cannot - depends if bottle paterized etc.

Thanks

In the Australian today.
DSC_3747.JPG

Hi There, there was an ABC doco about a year back of yeast harversted from bottle in from ship wreck off Tasmania, 220 years old.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4481385.htm

EDIT - well worth watching this episode of Catalyst if you want to get the story behind it all. A beer and wine laden ship out of Calcutta bound for Port Jackson. Wrecked on an island off of Tasmania (before any colony there). The crew stranded send 17 men in a small row boat across the Tasman to get to the new colony of NSW. They get wrecked on the Victorian coast (before there was a Victoria) and the men walk the coast to Port Jackson. Only 3 make it there alive and send a rescue to the rest of the stranded crew. Skip to the 1990's and bottles are pulled from the wreck and stored in a museum. Skip to 2015, a Professor pulls out the bottles and uses his imagination and convinces scientists to give it a go. Voila, yeast that has never been seen in modern times and is genetically only slightly close to Trapist, along with some Brett is found and cultivated. Some controversy about potential contamination, but I'm sold. Great story.

Last edited:
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4481385.htm

EDIT - well worth watching this episode of Catalyst if you want to get the story behind it all. A beer and wine laden ship out of Calcutta bound for Port Jackson. Wrecked on an island off of Tasmania (before any colony there). The crew stranded send 17 men in a small row boat across the Tasman to get to the new colony of NSW. They get wrecked on the Victorian coast (before there was a Victoria) and the men walk the coast to Port Jackson. Only 3 make it there alive and send a rescue to the rest of the stranded crew. Skip to the 1990's and bottles are pulled from the wreck and stored in a museum. Skip to 2015, a Professor pulls out the bottles and uses his imagination and convinces scientists to give it a go. Voila, yeast that has never been seen in modern times and is genetically only slightly close to Trapist, along with some Brett is found and cultivated. Some controversy about potential contamination, but I'm sold. Great story.
Tasted a few beers made using the cultured version of this yeast. Definitely had a Belgian character. The strain is in the culture collection at the AWRI.

Hmmm. I know someone who worked on the DNA of the yeast and let's say, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story... or now a marketing opportunity.

I see there is a limited release coming out? They did not say they brewery but tap was James Squire?
I was wondering if they were ever going to use it? If it is James Squire and in bottle could it be harvested?
Some you cannot - depends if bottle paterized etc.

Thanks
I didn't just see the beer... I drank The Wreck tonight. Surprised how well this beer was attenuated. The back story is brilliant too.

Sorry thought read it as the place was tdh the something hotel? :) Where in Camperdown? Thanks

Last edited:
Back