Diacetyl Rest For Ringwood Ale Wyeast 1187

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppinmad

Reaction score
I currently have a stout bubbling away and noticed on the wyeast website that the yeast I am using requires a diacetyl rest following fermentation. Quote: "Thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete". I understand why and how you do it with lagers, but in a stout that has fermented at 20C for its entirety... what exactly am I required to do?

Just give it two weeks in the primary and you should be fine. No need to rest when fermented at ale temps.

Cheers

Just give it two weeks in the primary and you should be fine. No need to rest when fermented at ale temps.

Cheers

This is the link to the page on Wyeast website: linky

What are they referring to when they say "Thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete"?

Let it raise from 20 to 22-24 and itll clean up the diacetyl...

I usually do this with my ales, and I normally dry hop at this stage also as a warmer temp gets more goodness out of the hops IMO

I've got a Ringwood smacko waiting to go and I'm also aware of the diacetyl thing. Another Wyeast that can throw diacetyl is 1768 and I made a cracking Butterscotch Burton :blink: with it in January, I was going on holiday to Sydney and hurried it into the bottle as I didn't have any way of keeping the fermenter cool while away.

I took a bottle to the BABBs end of January meeting to get opinions (I had never tasted Diacetyl before so was unsure). I cracked the bottle and immediately Troydo who was sitting at another table pipes up "who opened the diacetyl brew?" :lol:

Actually I didn't mind it, but not to everyone's taste except as a novelty brew. I have a 1768 UK Ale in primary at the moment and I'm going to give it a few days at 23 before racking this time, and ditto for the Ringwood forty niner I'll be knocking up next week. (in Dennis Wheeler's Real Ale book)

There was a thread on this very topic recently but i cant find it......

I use ringwood regularly.

Have a bitter in primary now with ringwood. My normal plan of attack is to keep the temp >20 and rouse it twice daily for the few 5 or so days. Try and sneak the temp up to as high as 24 for the last week. My current batch has been in primary for 19 days now and the taste last night was tasty.

I'd say that this method sorts it all out by i know my palate cant detect diacetyl. Then again, i haven't been told by any brewer that any of my beers contain diacetyl.

:lol: C'mon Smurto. It's the trace diacetyl that endears us to Ringwood.

Seriously though I usually just kegged the resultant beer diacetyl or not with this yeast. More often than not it (said diacetyl) would vanish after a few days anyway.

Warren -

Will be passing on a few beers to the Arab next week. So far he has picked faults in most of the beers i have given him (with good reason) so i will be interested to get his response to this batch, 1 of which is a ringwood bitter.

I get loads of esters from ringwood, early tastings can have a slick mouthful which i am told is how those who have less sensitivity to diacetyl pick it. But by the time it hits the keg the slickness is gone. Thankfully, the esters hang around!

I get loads of esters from ringwood, early tastings can have a slick mouthful which i am told is how those who have less sensitivity to diacetyl pick it. But by the time it hits the keg the slickness is gone. Thankfully, the esters hang around!

Yep that sounds about normal. I've always had a hard time defining what those esters remind me of. Unripe stone fruit or similar comes to mind but then again. :blink:

She's a complex yeast for sure. I guess that's what lures me to it. In fact I might grab some for my upcoming bitter. :icon_drunk:

Warren -

At the last BABBs meeting there were 25 cubes of the same brew (TTL) each fermented with a different yeast. The 1469 of course was bloody excellent, the Notto was just plain weird :blink: but the Ringwood was surprising, I loved the different subtle flavours chasing each other around.

Dr, interesting to hear that you rouse the yeast. It's originally a Yorkie but I don't know if the Hull Brewery used stone squares, sounds like it's in the same family however and I'll give my Ringwood forty-niner a thrashing as well. :icon_cheers:

When i say rouse i actually mean gently swirl the wort. Not a proper thrashing by any means. :D

I tend to do that for any high flocculating yeast.

Latest posts

Back