Dextrose headaches .....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update
Last night, no beer = no headache
Tonight, only Kolsch no pils = no headache
Tomorrow night, pils ....... exciting stuff
BBB

This is like an episode of House MD. Except House and his crew are morons and the patient is addicted to pils.

Nick JD said:
You've probably had something living in your bottles that produced a chemical your body doesn't like.

Like Botulism. If your limbs are feeling really numb and a bit slow to respond, then I'm right.

If not - please refer to my signature below.
the_new_nickjd. Was the beer no chilled?

BEERHOG said:
the_new_nickjd. Was the beer no chilled?
The beer had its face injected with Botox. The beer is disappointed with your attitude, but can't show it. :mellow:

Is there another way to chill ?

Yes - both kegs treated exactly the same.

Nick JD said:
This is like an episode of House MD. Except House and his crew are morons and the patient is addicted to pils.
Nick - I imagining that you look and dress like Cuddy. Nice rack.

BBB

Bada Bing Brewery said:
Is there another way to chill ?

BBB
:super: Put ya hat on backwards and just nod to heavy rap!!! :super:

Back on topic though, Do you clean your lines and taps regularly and at tha same time??? No weird stuff growing in the tap system?

Ivan.

Funny you shoud ask Ivan as I did clean them about 3 weeks ago (napisan through everything). That was the first time in >6 months ...........

I have a kolsch keg that is dex carbed sitting and waiting to be cracked, I'm drinking the C02 one now. I did the same as with the pils - one keg dex, one keg Co2 carbed - same beer, same batch, same everything. I'm trying to see if there is any difference in taste between the 2 carbing methods.

Will have a few pils's tonight and will update - Nick can't wait.
cheers
BBB

60 grams of dextrose in a 19 L keg gives you an increase of 0.2% alcohol assuming 100% conversion from dextrose to ethanol.

Assuming the abv of your carbonated keg is 5%, then that 0.2% increase only accounts for 4% of the total alcohol volume.

It seems unreasonable to me that the small amount of alcohol you produce when priming a keg with dextrose would produce sufficient fusel alcohols to give you headaches. That's just a guess though.

Back