Dextrose headaches .....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bada Bing Brewery

Reaction score
I brewed double batch pils and tried keg priming one (first time) and carbed the other using Co2. Was trying to see if there was any difference between keg priming and usual Co2 priming for taste. I couldn't taste any difference.
What I have noticed though is the dex primed beer is giving me headaches, after only 3-4 glasses. The first Co2 keg went down in buckets with no drama's at all.
I've never used dextrose before (was only 60g) but this is the only major difference between the 2 brews.
Anybody else have this affliction???
Cheers
BBB

Have you taken the FG between the two beers? Perhaps - though unlikley - the dex ramped up the ABV enough to sting your head. Check what compounds are released when it ferments, maby you have an allergy.

I Dunno.

Eat a teaspoon straight and see what happens.

i think your being a wuss again bbb. But on a serious note i saw somewhere in a thread or 2 guys with a print out of thier beers on a docket from a test. It had all the abv etc not sure what machine it was from maybe you could get that done between the 2 and see what the diff is. I think Truman was one of the guys who had it done maybe he can let you know (sorry if im wrong)

No FG. Keg 1 is goneski.

It's wierd as all other variables are they same - I'm 6' 2", still gorgeous and my six pack is intact and rock hard as always......... it has to be the dex.

Dave - I like your style, nobel prize winners have dunit ..... It's going on my wheatbix or I'll just do a line ;)
Cheers
BBB

Word to the wise... whatever you do.. don't do a line of dex.

A mate of mine back in high school once pretended to do a line of glucose powder (same thing) but pretended a little too vigorously and ended up with an nose-full.

It hit the wet membranes in the nose and absorbed all the water. That dried out the membranes which caused them to crack. It also caked (but didn't dissolve) the dex. So his nose was clogged up with caked dex which adhered to the cracked and bleeding membranes....

It was not pretty.

Cheers
Dave

Id be tempted to look at ur fermentation practice. Ferment too hot too vigorous amd u can produce fusile alcohols which is the alc responsible for headaches.

Now in sayung that high shitty adjunct beers with preservatives give people headaches ie megaswill. But I doubt thats the case with yours ie no preservatives and not a high adjunct beer

citymorgue2 said:
Id be tempted to look at ur fermentation practice. Ferment too hot too vigorous amd u can produce fusile alcohols which is the alc responsible for headaches.

Now in sayung that high shitty adjunct beers with preservatives give people headaches ie megaswill. But I doubt thats the case with yours ie no preservatives and not a high adjunct beer
I think this might be the case CM2. It was in a room in the medium 20'sC during a particularly hot spell over here in the country WA. This is the first time i've primed a keg and could not find a cold spot in the house for it. I was under the impression that keg priming would only very slightly change the alc profile but I think it has done more than that...........
Cheers for the info.
Cheers
BBB

The two batches saw the same primary treatment, yeah?

I pretty seriously doubt that 60g of dex (at any temp) is going to produce enough fussels to cause the difference you report.

bum said:
The two batches saw the same primary treatment, yeah?

I pretty seriously doubt that 60g of dex (at any temp) is going to produce enough fussels to cause the difference you report.
Yes same everything except the dex. Does anybody have any numbers on the alc content different between a dex primed keg vs a C02 primed one with the same brew?
Something has changed.......
Cheers
BBB

Airgead said:
Word to the wise... whatever you do.. don't do a line of dex.
Or for that matter, crushed Mersyndol...

bum said:
The two batches saw the same primary treatment, yeah?I pretty seriously doubt that 60g of dex (at any temp) is going to produce enough fussels to cause the difference you report.
I wasnt clear. I was referring to the actual fermentation of the batch of beer not the carbing fermentation.

Bada Bing Brewery said:
Yes same everything except the dex. Does anybody have any numbers on the alc content different between a dex primed keg vs a C02 primed one with the same brew?
Something has changed.......
Cheers
BBB
Bottle priming is usually about 0.5%. So you've added maybe 0.25% give or take.

Thanks Bum.

It shall remain a mystery ........

I'll toughen up and get through it. Thanks guys for your thoughts/input
cheers
BBB

You've probably had something living in your bottles that produced a chemical your body doesn't like.

Like Botulism. If your limbs are feeling really numb and a bit slow to respond, then I'm right.

If not - please refer to my signature below.

Bada Bing Brewery said:
It was a keg but I will take your signature advice..

BBB
If it continues until the end of the keg then it's something to do with the beer, but if it doesn't, you could have the beginnings of a virus, or be eating less, or probably just have broken your liver.

You didn't happen to leave any sanitizer in the keg by accident did you?

AndrewQLD said:
You didn't happen to leave any sanitizer in the keg by accident did you?
I've accidentally cubed a batch on top of 400ml of starsan before. Didn't taste great (may not be sanitiser related) but it didn't give me a hint of a headache.

Not meaning to discount Andrews's input but just adding a variable.

Who sanitises nowdays ;)
No chance both kegs treated the same, starsan, rinse then kegged. It must have something to do with sitting at room temp for a month or so while carbing - otherwise I have no idea ..... Taste is the same.

I will soldier on and keep you updated glass by glass for the next 13L or so. Should make for groundbreaking reading .....

cheers
BBB

Married? That time of the month? That's enough to give any bloke a headache...

Latest posts

Back