Dennys Fav 50 #2450

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Anybody used WY2450 Denny's Fav 50?

I grabbed a pack in store at G&G some months ago, MFG. 06JUL09. It was partially (approx. 1/2) swollen at purchase. In fact, of the 6 or so on the shelf, mine was the least swollen where I could still feel the nutrient pack. It's been stored in the bottom of my kegging fridge@4C for some months.. pulled it out yesterday and it was fully swollen; not a chance of smacking.

Pitched around midnight last night.. popped the nutrient pack with a sanitised knife, too.

Smell was quite intense, almost sour. I don't think it was off, but not what I was expecting from the strain.

Denny Conn has this to say from TastyBrew.com:
"I ran across it many years ago from a company called Brewtek, run by Maribeth Raines and now no longer in business. I wanted to get into yeast culturing, so I ordered supplies and a bunch of slants form them. When I tried one called CL-50, I found that it was as clean as my favorite yeasts, very attenuative, and very easy to work with. In addition, it left the beer with a really nice, smooth mouthfeel. I stated keeping a culture of it around and turned N8 and a bunch of other people on to it. N8 used it for a bunch of great beers. When my Rye IPA recipe started getting popular, I encouraged people to seek out this yeast and go to the trouble of building it up from a slant. Brewtek shut down, but another co. CO had samples of the yeast and kept it at least marginally available. At the same time, I started encouraging Dave Logsdon and Wyeast a few years back top make it available. They finally did....."

Just wondering who has used it. What was your experience with the strain? And, can a strain (something that comes from Wyeast) be partially infected or otherwise? I've never known this to be possible yet the packs, clearly none-smacked but all bloated and swollen, did present concern@ purchase.

reVox

what a coincidence, I smacked a pack I have. Manufactured 09JUN2008 yesterday morning, it's been 24 hours and no sign of swelling yet. It's has been kept in the fridge at about 3 degrees, since I purchased it. I have confidence that it will fire up, it just needs time

I am using it on a session 3.5% APA.

I have used it before and it is very clean and gives a strong solid fermentation at 16 degC.

I can't remember what the flocculation was like.

No ester production

The notes say that it has 'big mouthfeel', my feeling is that this yeast may produce slightly higher levels of glycerol than the average brewing yeast.

The yeast gets a big rap from some very experienced brewers

I got one from Craftbrewer a couple of months ago along with a couple of other yeasts and noticed it had swollen a bit as well. Mine has been in my kegerator around 6-8 C, and I think it may have swelled a little more. I haven't used it before, but am wanting to try it in an APA as well. Isn't this the strain that some on here thought was the PACMAN yeast? That was why I bought it, but don't care to much if it isn't.

Hoping mine will be ok as well, so let us know if either of them doesn't start.

I've used that for a few beers lately. The first time I used it I wasn't too happy. It seemed very slow to flocculate, right down to the last beer of the keg was very cloudy. The second batch though was nice and clear from early on. Other than that issue though, I though both beers were nice and clean, and that full mouthfeel they mention on the blurb seemed to be there. I think it's a good yeast for a pale ale or anything clean would work fine I'd say.

I've had that swelling with some yeasts. I wouldn't worry about it, it's almost certainly just a little extra fermentation having gone on after packaging.

Just wondering who has used it. What was your experience with the strain? And, can a strain (something that comes from Wyeast) be partially infected or otherwise? I've never known this to be possible yet the packs, clearly none-smacked but all bloated and swollen, did present concern@ purchase.

reVox
I've used this yeast once, and noted it was not all that clean in the starter, and indeed the beer took a while to mellow out and be comarable to 1056 ( I did a split batch mid-strength quaffer, one with 1056 and other with 2450).
After at least a month conditioning, it was drinking quite well, though I never fealt it was as clean as 1056 (of course there is always variation from brew to brew depending on pitching rate, yeasat health, etc. so I suspect there were slightly higher esters and diacetyl from the 2450).

On the topic of Wyeast smack packs being occasionaly infected, I suspect that this is a possibility.
A few years ago I brewed a few APA's using Flying Dog yeast (private collection), which I have since tried many of the commercial beers, and found them to be typically hoppy APA's, with little yeast character to note.
My brews, on the other hand, had a distinct Belgian Saison character about them that was not all that unpleasant in an APA. I emailed WYeast about this, and they politely replied that it was not likely for the smack-pack to be infected, however I bougt the smack-pack from G&G in the cheapy bin becasue it was already fully swelled, and only a few months past the date of manufacture (and the nutrient pouch was not ruptured).
I don't know how sterile their processing plant is, but I would be surprised if I had bought a 100% pure strain of Flying Dog yeast.

That reminds me - next up I might try brewing a Belgian APA with heaps of Amarillo and DSaaz.
As for which yeast, hmmmmm....

Just using it for the second time today. The first batch was underattenuated by about 4%. I put that down to my process as I had accidentally let the fermenter get to cold and the yeast dropped out, I roused it and warmed the fermenter but the yeast was sluggish to attenuate those last few points.

I have been using it alot in the last year, very good, seems to give a creamy smoothness to the beer

I bought it under the impression it was close to the Pacman yeast.
My Dead Guy clone (slightly lower alcohol @ 6.2% ABV) using US05 tasted pretty close to the original bottle I tried.
I've just kegged the same beer using the now 1450PC and to my tastes is better than the real thing. I get a real silky sort of mouthfeel which is great but it might have drowned some of the hops out.
I'm not sure his keg will last long enough to taste the effects of aging.

I can't wait to use this yeast again.

Lets all hope that wyeast brig out the pacman strain again soon

hell lets get a bit of pressure on wyeat and start mailing them

Pacman lets bring it back

Kleiny

WY1764 Pacman is Wyeasts latest seasonal release. Should be available from all good stockists within the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Ross

WY1764 Pacman is Wyeasts latest seasonal release. Should be available from all good stockists within the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Ross

:eek: Expect an order from me very soon!!!! I'm going to slant the W4()re out of this little street rat!

great_scott_400.png

Cheers Ross

It's a good un' i've kept it going from the last time it was released. To me it's like a 3rd or 4th gen 1056 that is just a bit more on the ball. Really happy with it. I should get a slant of it, that'd probably make it easier. It's my go-to strain for apa's/neutral yeast stuff(when I can be bothered culturing it up).

Q

Hey, thanks fellas for the feedback. Really looking forward to tasting this strain after the hype. My swollen, no need to activate, pack did fire (in the ferm) after 16 hours.. and quickly went to a big billowy krausen. Pitched to 23L 1.044 golden ale. Will report final attenuation.

OT: love the Pacman@ 16C. Thanks for the heads-up on availability, Ross.

Cheers.

Thanks Ross for the heads up, I should know by now to keep an eye out at the start of every quarter...

Getting quite a bit OT here so a thousand pardons in advance. Is anyone else keen on the 1882 Thames Valley II in a Landlord? Sounds like it could be particularly useful to diacetyl fanciers too. ;) Its characteristics (going from the spec sheet) aren't all that similar to 1275 Thames Valley Ale, so it is slightly perplexing but I think I'll give a try. I don't mind 1275 though.

Thanks Ross for the heads up, I should know by now to keep an eye out at the start of every quarter...

Getting quite a bit OT here so a thousand pardons in advance. Is anyone else keen on the 1882 Thames Valley II in a Landlord? Sounds like it could be particularly useful to diacetyl fanciers too. ;) Its characteristics (going from the spec sheet) aren't all that similar to 1275 Thames Valley Ale, so it is slightly perplexing but I think I'll give a try. I don't mind 1275 though.

Just to break the mould even further i used Wyeast 1272 American Ale II in my Caramalised 100% Simpsons Golden Promise Landlond and it has come up a treat. Fermented a little warm 21~ to push some fruitiness. :icon_drool2:

Delicious!

Latest posts

Back