Gravity dropping to 0.999

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brewed a pale ale on the weekend and when filtering into the fermenter I found a small cockroach in the bottom of the boiled wort, fucker had hidden in one of the outlets before I'd started. I said meh and continued on.

SG for this batch was 1.054, pitched with a Wyeast smack pack of American Ale II and some yeast nutrients were added to the boil and started active fermentation about 24 hours later.

I've kept an eye on it - made easy with a Tilt - but today's reading was at 0.999. Now I'm starting to worry that the batch is infected in some way from the roach (or something else).

Smells fine, if a little boozy. Planning on a taste test a bit later.

Any thoughts?

If you boiled the cockroach then I think you can safely disregard its contributions.
I'd be rechecking the FG reading with a hydrometer, I suspect your tilt is misleading you.

Find another roach, do same again, if it drops to .999 again you might have just discovered a new form/source of Amylase - that has to be worth money to someone.
Mark

If you boiled the cockroach then I think you can safely disregard its contributions.
I'd be rechecking the FG reading with a hydrometer, I suspect your tilt is misleading you.

Good call. Begrudgingly opened it up and took a sample and scooped up the Tilt, looks like some gunk from the krausen had settled on top of it and was weighing it down. Gave it a quick scrape and both the Tilt and the manual hydrometer measured up at 1.007.

Glad it appears to be fine!

Find another roach, do same again, if it drops to .999 again you might have just discovered a new form/source of Amylase - that has to be worth money to someone.
Mark

I know! Now I'm disappointed it's all fine.

Latest posts

Back