Decoction Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck

Reaction score
I've seen a few references here and there to decoction mashing. I think I get the procedure, but what are the benefits for it. Is it just for certain grains or styles? What does it do to the final outcome?

Thanks,
Wreck.

Wreck,

First off I haven't done a brew with a decoction mash (yet).

From what I understand it has a number of benefits including mash efficiency and can also add colour.

I plan on using decoction mashes in order to aid in a step mash program, whereby when the decoction is added back to the main mash the temperature rise will match the next temp in the mash schedule.

Beers,
Doc

By added colour do you mean darkening?

Is the step mash used more for under-modified malts to get more out of them?

As I understand it (and I could be off the mark here) a step mash is used to get the best from alpha and beta enzymes and for protien rests. Someone else could probably explain it better.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

So you use the decoction then to get from one rest to the next. Basically are we talking about improving efficiency then?

Will decoction impact flavour?

Step mashes and decotion mashs are primarily used for unmodified malts - not common these days as most malts are modified - hence, no need for decotions - step mashes.

Also, Canberra Brewers swear by decotions in Belgium Ales - tripples etc - adds great complexity and depth...

Hope this helps

How does it affect the Belgian ales? Is there some caramelisation during the boil?

Wreck said:
How does it affect the Belgian ales? Is there some caramelisation during the boil?
It does do some caramelisation - also adds a biscuit/nutty taste depth to the dubbel/tripple etc.

When you are making yours - add some Belgium Candi Sugar to the boil.

I think it also adds some small amount of tanins - due to the high temp involved in heating it up.

Sounds good. I was planning on some Belgians soon. The first dubbel I did was a bit disappointing so this sounds like a good option. I'm pretty happy with my tripel, but could do more.

Already been using some candi sugar. Burnt it the first time a made it. Thought I'd have a taste test anyway and stuck my finger in the saucepan thinking it had been long enough to cool. Not only did it burn the crap out of my finger, the sugar stuck to it, then burnt the other fingers I used to try and get it off. Definitely a learning experience ;)

Thanks,
Wreck.

Wreck said:
Sounds good. I was planning on some Belgians soon. The first dubbel I did was a bit disappointing so this sounds like a good option. I'm pretty happy with my tripel, but could do more.

Already been using some candi sugar. Burnt it the first time a made it. Thought I'd have a taste test anyway and stuck my finger in the saucepan thinking it had been long enough to cool. Not only did it burn the crap out of my finger, the sugar stuck to it, then burnt the other fingers I used to try and get it off. Definitely a learning experience ;)

Thanks,
Wreck.
Sorry about that -

Sounds like a "keystone brewing"epside or something from the three stooges/cartoons etc. TIC :lol:

Yes - the sugar gets very very Hot.

Thanks TDA. Good article. Definitely going to give it a go.

Hmmmm had a shufti at Part 1

the author is wrong on one point. A decoct to go from protein rest temp to sach temp first heats the grains/wort removed for the decoction to sach temp, 66-68C or whatever, only after the decoction has been held at sach temp for 15-30 mins is it heated to a boil.

I did a 3 step mash + single decoction for my bocks, really darkened the grist. i love the bready/grainy flavors I get from a decoction and often do it even with proper ale malt.

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back