Dead Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use some beerline cleaner. That should clean it off without too much elbow grease.

Beer kegs have a high amount of steel in them, the reason for this is they are a pressure vessel and if they were made from just stainless and you over loaded them they would shatter but with the steel they just split.

NO

what im saying is that beer kegs have alot more steel in them than other stainless products so if you damage the surface they will rust, because alot of people think that they are bullet proof.

Mate, you sound a bit confused here.

Steel is an alloy of iron with a small amount of carbon.

Stainless steel is steel that has Nickel and Chrome added which forms a tough oxide layer that prevents the iron from rusting. Embed iron in your stainless steel surface and it will start to rust allowing the underlying metal to also rust.

HTH,

David

Not confused
Just trying to warn people if they attack there kegs with a grinder it will rust.
Think about it you say that if you embed iron in it will start to rust what does a grinder blade have in it? Iron.

Aspro

Not confused
Just trying to warn people if they attack there kegs with a grinder it will rust.
Think about it you say that if you embed iron in it will start to rust what does a grinder blade have in it? Iron.
Aspro

Actually I have heard this is true from someone who fucked his kegs up wiff a grinda!!

I always had the impression that grinder blades were made from carborundum. As for me, I'm in Batz' camp, no-cleaner here.

long live beerstone

Browndog

Boil it with a solution of water and white vinegar, comes right off. Cheap and no harsh chemicals.

I have a 50l ss stock pot, has a heavy base in it. So dont know if thats the difference or not, But i clean my pot with ss cleaner (kind of a dissolveable granular product) using a 3M (or similar) scrubby to take of any scum that may be left from boiling... oh BTW only ever gets to a milky white colour (film).

Decided to reach for the cleaner to give you the name (not endorsing any product here, as there are many equivalent products out there) RACO stainless steel and copper cleaner.... Also good for cook ware according to the boss... err wife..

I found that a simple soaking of water/Idophor sollution over night then a light but firm scrub with a sponge removes beerstone.

Many of the oven cleaners are caustic based (sodium hydroxide). You could just spray some on and wait.

Caustic is nasty stuff, make sure you get none in your eyes, on your skin or breath it in.

The easiest cheapest way to buy caustic is Mechanix brand from the supermarket. 500gm tub is about 3-4 dollars. Some brewers swear by this to clean your brewgear. I am not sure what ratio they use it at. Maybe one could pipe up and say.

I'm with batz, I have never even thought of cleaning the bottom of my keg before, looks just like above. Shows I have been brewin up a storm.

Is this the start of the "no-clean" method?

I like the sound of that. :) More time for drinking.

KV

Latest posts

Back