Dcl 34/70

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Hi, just trying to input for a new beer and went to add 34/70 and it is not in the yeast section nor can I find it on their website. Does anyone have the specs for this yeast!!!

Cheers, JJ

jimmyjack said:
Hi, just trying to input for a new beer and went to add 34/70 and it is not in the yeast section nor can I find it on their website. Does anyone have the specs for this yeast!!!

Cheers, JJ
[post="119924"][/post]​

2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast. AKA 34/70
Probable origin: Weihenstephan, Germany
Beer Styles: Pilsners, Hellas, Dunkel
Commercial examples may include: Ayinger, Sam Adams, Stroh, Sudwerk
Unique properties: A Carlsberg type yeast and most widely used lager strain in the world. Produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character with a crisp finish. Well balanced profile produces a wide range of lager beers. Will ferment in the mid 40's to mid 50's for various beer styles. Benefits from diacetyl rest at 58 F (14 C) for 24 hours after fermentation is complete. Also used for pseudo ale production with fermentations at 75 F, (24 C) which eliminates sulfur production. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 69-73%. (48-58 F, 9-14 C)

cheers Ross

Just out of curiousity, is WLP830 the whitelabs equivalent?
I cross referenced the specifics and they seem very similar(WLP830 is slightly more attenuative).

Chilla

Have a look at this link. It shows the sources of a lot of the White Labs and Wyeast products and some of the equivalents. It's good in that it shows that many of the yeasts which are often assumed to be equivalents are not really the same strain, even though they may be fairly similar. Good stuff for the yeast nerd (even though the author is a absolute a$$hole IMO).

Cheers
Stuart

Thanks Stuart - bookmarked the link. Invaluable resource for a budding (groan) yeast nerd like me.

I like the opening sentence 'This info was put together by myself.'.

The post by Ross indicates that it can be used at "ale temps". I am without a fridge so the coolest I can keep my brews is about 18oC. has anyone used this yeast at these temps and how fruity was the beer. How does it compare to the other saflager yeast 04?

Steve said:
Drew
Get yourself a big plastic storage box ($15 from K-mart). Put your fermenter in, fill container with water and freeze 4 two litre coke bottles with water. Put two frozen bottles in at a time and keep changing them around as they melt. This will keep your temps down and its cheap and effective.
Cheers
Steve
[post="88041"][/post]​

Bruce

This may help you with keeping the temperature down. I kept my brews at about 20-22 right through the hot temps here in Sydney in Jan-Feb. I may do some 'lagers' in the winter, though not sure if it'll be worth it without the lagering period.

Latest posts

Back