David Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
Been clearing out some stuff today and found a couple of my "old" brewing books I had in the UK. One is by CJJ Berry - Home Brewed Beers and Stouts, Ken Shales and David Lines "Brewing Beers Like Those you Buy". Reading through this tome has given me information I had just forgotten existed. The main tenant being the use of a grain bag, the beginning, I guess, of what we now refer to as BIAB. There are some brilliant recipes, if you like English style bitter and ales. Stuff like Youngs Special Bitter which was drunk in huge volumes as a uni student in London, Shepherd & Neame (gives you the shits and screams) Best Bitter, Gales HSB, Ruddles County Bitter and many, many more.

Also goes to show how techniques have improved over the years and been refined to what we have and can do today.

A great read!

I used to have BBLYYB back in the 70s and recently bought the new copy from the Book Depository - it's been edited with metric and also changed some of the ingredients that aren't available now such a glucose chips.

I've kegged my version of a 60s style UK keg beer from the book synthesised from various recipes, it's my Brib E Tavern Tankard. I'll post when it's ready to drink.

I used to have BBLYYB back in the 70s and recently bought the new copy from the Book Depository - it's been edited with metric and also changed some of the ingredients that aren't available now such a glucose chips.

I've kegged my version of a 60s style UK keg beer from the book synthesised from various recipes, it's my Brib E Tavern Tankard. I'll post when it's ready to drink.

Please do, my brother got a copy from ebay a couple years' back.

He's not really brewing (fermenting the odd FWK) but I'm really looking to do an old school English Ale and it's hard when everything requires Pale Malt, Amber Malt and Fuggles.

Post the recipe if it works too!

Goomba

Latest posts

Back