Darwin Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Bloke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick hi from the top end,
Brief Bio, Started brewing kits in 1987 had a brief hiatus for the last couple of years, and have now moved on to using TUBS from our local HBS.

Regards

G'day! Also in Darwin. There's a couple of us on here from the top end. Are you fermenting in a temperature controlled fridge? Best thing I did when starting brewing up here!

Hi all, just moved back to Darwin and setting the gear up. Brewing with a 20l braumeister and a couple of temp controlled fridge/freezers. A little down, brought up a heap of grain that I had in sealed bags I side tote boxes and just found that those tiny little ants had got in......not too many though so I've quickly chucked the grain in the fridge. Does anyone know if grain will keep I the fridge up here? Interesting to see how all my hops and yeast went travelling up in the car. They were on ice bricks and I. The fridge overnight so hopefully they lasted ok.

Also, where do people get all there gear from? I went into OzBrew in Yarrawonga but there's not much there for grain brewing. Also need to get a keg king gas bottle filled, any recommendations without leaving it somewhere overnight? Do they need to be fridges before filling?

I keep my grain in grain bags that I stick in a couple of small fermenters in the shed. It smells and tastes fresh as a daisy. No problem so far. I'm sure it'd keep better in the fridge but don't really have much room for 15kg of grain in the fridge sadly. Ozbrew is crazy expensive. Everything they sell can be bought half price elsewhere. With the exception of the yeast that they sometimes stock, which is pretty much standard price, everything else is literally double the cost.

You're stuck with Ozbrew gas refills I think ($40+ for 2.6kg and left overnight). Supagas may be an option.
One mile brewery in palmerston supplies the base grains and some specialty malts. Great blokes too.
Hops and yeasts etc - post pack from interstate.
Welcome to Darwin. We are trying to get a 'community' of Brewers going which will hopefully lead to better supply of ingredients. Cheers.

I found it is cheaper to get grain sent up from down south, especially if you buy by the sack. Postage is about as much a the grain but still cheaper than one mile. On the other hand it is good to support the local!

Hi all, just moved back to Darwin and setting the gear up. Brewing with a 20l braumeister and a couple of temp controlled fridge/freezers. A little down, brought up a heap of grain that I had in sealed bags I side tote boxes and just found that those tiny little ants had got in......not too many though so I've quickly chucked the grain in the fridge. Does anyone know if grain will keep I the fridge up here? Interesting to see how all my hops and yeast went travelling up in the car. They were on ice bricks and I. The fridge overnight so hopefully they lasted ok.

Also, where do people get all there gear from? I went into OzBrew in Yarrawonga but there's not much there for grain brewing. Also need to get a keg king gas bottle filled, any recommendations without leaving it somewhere overnight? Do they need to be fridges before filling?[/quote
How did you go with getting the gas bottle refilled? Ive got to do mine, just used the last of it!!

Haven't got the refill done yet. I'll try supa gas next week, but I'm going to try and put down to brews tomorrow so it might be a busy day.

Just trying to find all the bits and pieces after the move.....

I touched base with one mile and they were helpful and I'll support them as long as the prices aren't crazy more.....

NT.Thunder said:
Haven't got the refill done yet. I'll try supa gas next week, but I'm going to try and put down to brews tomorrow so it might be a busy day.

Just trying to find all the bits and pieces after the move.....

I touched base with one mile and they were helpful and I'll support them as long as the prices aren't crazy more.....
Their grain prices are $6 a kilo across the board. It's not quite as cheap as elsewhere but not unreasonable and factor in shipping costs and it's much, much cheaper than shipping grain in interstate.

Back